Parsnips

• 33 Replies

bradwell

Parsnips
« on: September 03, 2009, 13:57 »
I have always had great difficulty getting parsnips to germinate and grow properly, they usually end up looking like sea mines. So last year I gave up digging them out and left 3 in to go to seed. I have just come back from the allotment where i found about 40 parsnip seedlings growing very happily from the seeds that have dropped from last years crop. Will these grow on do you think?

Sue33

Re: Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 15:08 »

Don't see why not, although we sowed ours straight in the soil back in April, maybe you'll get some late ones (they did take weeks to come up though)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 15:40 »
Watch out mentioning parsnips on here we might all get to see DDs photo again :tongue2:
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 15:42 »
Ahem............

Sorry, just clearing my throat.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 20:59 »
This year i put my parsnip seeds (tender and true) on damp kitchen roll until they germinated.
I then placed each (germinated)seed into a toilet roll tube  that was filled with moist compost.
When the roots appeared at the bottom of the loo roll tube i planted them into the ground.
After a while the cardboard tube decomposed.
So far so good

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 21:42 »
I sowed straight into the ground (gladiators and white gem)  a month later i resowed in the places that didnt germinate.

I now have 3 lovely complete  rows of parsnips.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 22:20 »
I can't hold back any more.

Sowed once, got this.

You asked for it.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:10 »
Your so last yr now DD ).

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:01 »
You wait until this year's harvest.

I've found an even smaller person to hold one up.

Clover

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 08:05 »
OK - I feel pretty stupid, but I really can't find a better place to boast about my first ever parsnip and no-one I've told off-line seems the least bit interested in this joyous event  ;)

Dug first one up from a March sowing, direct, 100% ish germination. 

Now, I am not a man, but I did have to get the measuring tape out for this one - it was just over a foot long  :)  and it's only September.  (Couldn't bring myself to measure the girth.)

It was totally clean and cookable not bitter at all, except I'd mashed it up a bit trying to get it out of the earth, which is going to be a bit of a problem if they're all this big.  Maybe I should water first (any advice?) - the earth is so dry that it was v. difficult to get down that far.

Sue33

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:36 »

Hi Clover, yes we tend to give the parsnips and carrots a good watering before we dig them up, they should get sweeter as the weather gets colder  :D 

I really can't find a better place to boast about my first ever parsnip and no-one I've told off-line seems the least bit interested in this joyous event 

so annoying when other just don't get it  :tongue2: to them  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:38 »
Im going to test one of mine and pull it up on Sunday

Cant wait to try em
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54 »
Mine are staying put until the first frost.

Maybe.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 22:07 »
no-one I've told off-line seems the least bit interested in this joyous event  ;)

Well, how rude! ::) :D  I'm with you, that it IS truly a joyous event indeed!  So well done you!

I dug one up a couple of weeks ago ...(just to see what was going on down there under the enormous tops - never grown them before) -  and it was huge and delicious to boot!  Is it going to be a bumper year for parsnips for everyone??
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Clover

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 08:49 »
Thank you for the support  :)  I think they believe parsnips just grow themselves totally easily and then gently slide onto the supermarket shelves.  They'll be happy enough to eat them (as long as I wash them and put them in a nice clean plastic bag for them - basically, I'm with you on the  :tongue2: )

I was going to wait for the frost too - but I read a post here that someone had already eaten one from an early sowing and it tasted of parsnip so couldn't resist a sneak preview.

Surprising that it's a good parsnip year though - the earth is bone dry, we've had nothing like enough rain and I only watered them during the heatwave once or twice.  Or maybe warm and dry is what they like?

If I water them before digging them up won't it draw in the slugs though?  Do they like parnsips?  It's one of the reasons I don't water my root veg or hardly ever.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:54
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:10
by Lisbon67
xx
parsnips

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 18:42
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 38 queries.