Lawn re-seeding

• 5 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Lawn re-seeding
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:07 »
Hello everyone.
I have had to work away for the first 5 months of this year, and come back to a lawn that was lovely and green, but about a foot high. When it dried out enough, I set the mower on the highest cut and cut it down to about 3-4 inches. I left it for a week and cut it back a bit more, and kept doing so over the last month to get it to a height I`m comfortable with.
The trouble is, it has lots of brown areas in it, which seem to be spikey, and not normal blades of grass. I have put some liquid weed and feed on it a few weeks ago, and given it a good scarifying, before seeding it, but it still doesn`t look like greening up
I have reseeded the whole area, twice so far, but with the dog and kids running on it, not a lot seems to grow.
Can anyone give me some advice please
Will the brown spikey grass magically disappear ??

fatcat1955

Re: Lawn re-seeding
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:23 »
The more you cut it the finer the blades of grass become. Sound's like you are doing all the right thing's. Do not let the patches dry out though.

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 15:08 »
Thanks fatcat

I water it at least once a day, just to keep the seed moist, but this sunny warm weather doesnt stay damp for long

As long as I know Im doing the right things now Ill keep going

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 19:55 »
I have large bald patches on my lawn owing to a) moss being killed and removed by mosskillre / electric rake, and b) over-enthusiastic application of the feed/weed/mosskiller leading to scorch and killing off some of the rest of the lawn!

I applied some (expensive) patch magic in some places, and ordinary grass seed elsewhere.

The patch magic has germinated, after being watered daily.  The grass seed doesn't want to know despite also being watered.  I think I may have sowed it a little thickly, but the hot dry weather has meant that the underlying soil has dried out and the grass seed isn't interested.

I think I'll wait until the autumn to have another go now.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 23:27 »
hi sounds like youre doing right lawn care ,try mixing grass seed with multipurpose compost let grassseed germinate then scatter on bare patches  water bare patches first scatter seed compost mix ,should take in a couple of days if not large patches use same mix and sow in large seed trays sow half inch thick when grass 2 inch high place on bare patches  jezza

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:38 »
It has been a tad too hot for grass seed at the moment, Autumn is by far the best time.

xx
self seeding flowers

Started by celjaci on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 21:35
by FCG
xx
self seeding annuals?

Started by Sheena on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 17:08
by milkman
xx
Green manure self seeding..

Started by Rhys on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 13:00
by Rhys
xx
My Lawn

Started by digital_biscuit on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 12:21
by arugula

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.