Harvesting rhubarb in September

• 20 Replies

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Re: Harvesting rhubarb in September
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 19:14 »
I have 8 plants in all, we love the earliest stuff and we force 2 of the plants in rotation. Any late pickings are taken a stick or two at a time from any of the 6 plants NOT intended for forcing in the next round.
Heavy picking for freezing and for pies for freezing and for giving to family etc rarely happens after about end of june.
R

Nice to know someone has more than me... 8)....I put 6 plants in my new plot last year and got some comments about what did I want that many for?....but they are all different varieties and I love 'em...and so do my friends :tongue2:

RichardA

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 22:55 »
Radio head
I did not really set out to have so much but when I moved mine they split and conveniently filled a certain space in a certain bed, three varaities in all. All my kids and grandkids like rhubarb and those who live away take lots back with them when it is in season.
It just sits there between the bay trees and behind the asparagus like a faithful old family friend minding its own business and paying its way.
I shall have to think about starting some more shortly as it has been in that spot a good few years now - perhaps at the top of the orchard or amongst the soft fruit. Job for late on in 2011 I think
Love it
R

simpson-allen

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34 »
on the subject of rhubarb 2 questions please. When do you know its ready to pick Think I read that it goes tough if it starts to turn green. Is that true. Also, do I cut it back if |I'm not going to risk a dodgy tummy and if the answe is no, do I pick and eat the sticks next year that are already on the plant now or just new ones.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40 »
It's ready to pick when it's big enough to use, basically!

The plant will die back totally soon and then burst to life in spring. That's the best time to eat your rhubarb - not now! :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

simpson-allen

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 10:10 »
thanks dd

upwood

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49 »
Thanks for your advice. We unfroze some of the rhubarb harvested last weekend and it was just as delicious as the early summer crop - tender and not acidic or bitter at all. We'll save the rest for Christmas.

xx
Picking rhubarb after September

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 18:40
by BobE
xx
Harvesting Rhubarb

Started by LittleSlugInTheNorth on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 23:52
by Paul Plots
xx
Harvesting Rhubarb

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 22:40
by Swing Swang
xx
Rhubarb after harvesting.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 00:16
by Snowboar

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.