nematodes

• 10 Replies

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
nematodes
« on: November 15, 2012, 21:34 »
  i am losing my potatoes every time with slug holes. i,ve heard of nematodes. has anyone any info .  or used it .  or any other remedy. 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: nematodes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 22:07 »
Yes, I used them this year on the potatoes and my other roots beds. Seemed to work very well, with minimal slug damage to the potatoes that grew through the deluge.

icbradley

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 13:35 »
I had spotless potatoes this year.  I signed up for two deliveries and applied the nematodes twice. Everything else was hit by slugs.  Varieties were Charlotte and Valor.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 14:03 »
Some potato varieties are more susceptible to slug damage than others - so choosing your variety carefully will also help a lot ;)

Some of us sprinkle a few slug pellets when we plant potatoes and then add a few more when we earth up - which also seems to help ;)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 14:19 »
I tried nematodes this year, but owing to not reading the instructions properly I spread the mixture over the whole plot instead of half the plot. :blink:
But even so I don't seem to have been as badly affected as other people.  I haven't seen many slugs and only a few snails and the slug bait seems to have held them at bay.
Its quite expensive though.
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 14:28 »
Some potato varieties are more susceptible to slug damage than others - so choosing your variety carefully will also help a lot ;)

Some of us sprinkle a few slug pellets when we plant potatoes and then add a few more when we earth up - which also seems to help ;)

That's sound advice Mums. There's quite a large list of slug varieties, some which like to wander around, hoping for the pellets to get watered in, and then they start out again with a vengeance!

Keep 'em on their toes I say, it's them or us I'm afraid!

I am spending a bit of time researching nematodes as we speak, as they are becoming more acceptable, and hopefully cheaper; but that's until the people in 'Sproutland' get wind of them and start interfering...;0(

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 14:58 »
been reading up myself on them but price seems bit high to justify them,had great success with margpots sunk in ground and topped up we bitter 25p a can at as.a,te..o etc as well as sprinklin slug pellets

SG6

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 15:36 »
You simply buy them and water them on to the plot. Has to be done in spring as they need a temperature of (I think) 12C and above to survive and do anything.

I stopped growing pototoes in the ground and simply plant containers with them now as I never had a great deal of success ever with them. Some reason always better in containers, so stuck to that.

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 15:38 »
I thought slugs only attacked spuds after they had been damaged usually by wireworm?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 17:03 »
I thought slugs only attacked spuds after they had been damaged usually by wireworm?

Oh noooooooooooooooooooo.........l'il critters will go for them any time.

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 17:35 »
many thanks. mixed response but nothing to lose ;so i,ll try it

xx
Nematodes?

Started by born_2b_mad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 08:54
by DD.
xx
nematodes

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:19
by devonbarmygardener
xx
nematodes

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:24
by RGManby
xx
Nematodes

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 14:59
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 38 queries.