When have seeds failed?

• 13 Replies

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
When have seeds failed?
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:14 »
I know it's very early, but I've had some tomato seeds inside in an unheated propergator for about 3 and a half weeks now. I know some seeds take longer than others, but I'm tight for space and was wondering if they had just failed to germinate, should I chuck them away and try some others or leave them a while longer? The variety is Keralic (a bit temperamental I know)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: When have seeds failed?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19 »
It's not looking too hopeful, but you never know. My tomatoes (not the same variety) took 5 days in a plastic bag.

This site says 10 day ave for your variety:

http://myfolia.com/plants/10-tomato-solanum-lycopersicum/varieties/16918-koralik
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:23 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

savbo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:21 »
have a furtle!
gentle move the compost aside with a skewer or similar to see what's happening...you may uncover a shoot...if you get to the seed and nowt's happening they're prob duff...

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:45 »
I had a rummage, can't see anything. DD what an amazing website, a geek's paradise!
Think I'll ditch those and get some others going, cheers

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 14:36 »
It's not looking too hopeful, but you never know. My tomatoes (not the same variety) took 5 days in a plastic bag.

This site says 10 day ave for your variety:

http://myfolia.com/plants/10-tomato-solanum-lycopersicum/varieties/16918-koralik

I used myfolia for a bit and came to the conclusion you have to be careful with their data.

There don't appear to be any people who have grown "koralik", so I'm not sure what data the averages shown are based on ... and looking at Tomato (i,e. no specific variety) the average days to germinate (based on 1,771 growers) is 6 days, which seems reasonable, but the range is from 1 day to 113 days wihch are higlhy improbable - so for items that have a small, or "zero", sample size I suggest taking the figures with a large pinch of salt.

The "Days to Maturity" varies from Min 3 days (I'd like to grow that variety!) to Max 620 days (need to know what variety that is too - in order to avoid it!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 14:55 »
I'd try again Jome - there's plenty of time yet.   :)

Take care not to get the compost too wet.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 14:56 »
according to my diary, last year my Koralik took a month or longer to germinate and even then the number that did was low :(

Trialled by D T Brown last year, and it is not in the brochures this year, so not a success!

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 15:37 »
Are there 2 types of Koralik.The ones I purchased say they are from Ukraine and an early variety(Pennard Plants).
Other info states they are a late variety no mention of where they originate from.
Help?

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 23:43 »
I think I'd play on the safe side and grow something I knew a little more about unless it's a trial for the fun of it (and why not indeed  ;))

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 18:01 »
Hey Jome, is that you are female,and a looker to boot,that you aint getting it in the neck for trying Tomato seed so early in the year?  :D  I've been given a right old time of it for trying too soon!  :tongue2:
people talk rubbish

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 18:21 »
Hey Jome, is that you are female,and a looker to boot,that you aint getting it in the neck for trying Tomato seed so early in the year?  :D  I've been given a right old time of it for trying too soon!  :tongue2:

Jome's didn't germinate, unfortunately for you yours did!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 18:58 »
And she just might have a heated greenhouse in which to put them!

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 21:53 »
Don't worry I've had plenty of stick for other stuff before believe me!

Just wanted to report that after my preliminary rummage, two seeds popped up this morning (while they were languishing in the last chance saloon, the lobby) Before that they were in a heated propergator on the windowsil.

When I bought the seeds I didn't read any reports about them being tricky to grow, but I have about 4 other varieties to try yet this year, so I'm not bothered if they don't make it. If they are that hard to rear then I won't bother again  :ohmy:

It's been a while since anyone said I was a looker!, feel a bit shy now :blush:

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 19:36 »
Jome, I dont mind having opinions thrown at me as long as they stack up. You win some,you lose some and at the end of the day we are talking about a packet of seeds! Anyway, You can always try again,cant you? PS; didnt mean to make you feel shy  ::) sorry about that  :D

xx
failed seeds

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 09:27
by Elm street
xx
French bean seeds have failed

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2020, 21:28
by jambop
xx
Tried but failed.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 21:12
by tode
xx
radish failed again

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 18:52
by Growster...

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.