Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2011, 20:51 »
yes but you have common sense that is sadly lacking in some people  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2011, 23:23 »
yes but you have common sense that is sadly lacking in some people  :(

Some don't choose to use common sense (sometimes I don't think "sense" is that common these days) but prefer to be selfish and thoughtless even enjoying the harm they can inflict.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #287 on: June 07, 2011, 00:45 »
We have sometimes seen 'lost dog' signs locally - general opinion is its buried in the corner of a field somewhere.
One local doesn't speak to me now after I asked her to keep her dog under control (we live alongside a bridleway), it was running round the yard and out of sight into my field long before she was in sight, some people don't understand, yet she keeps hens, I wonder how she'd feel if my dogs ran into her field.
We also had someone round offering to 'control rabbits', I said they could use their ferrets down holes but I didn't want their lurchers running round, (I love to see the hares and pheasants about), they never came back, I wonder why?
people think they can just let their dogs run free on a bridleway, forgeting they jump walls, run into peoples yards and gardens, watched 5 dogs go chasing down one of our fields one day, I think they were after a hare, the owner just stood and watched them, probably 'how nice to see them enjoying themselves' GRRRRR
sorry to hijack the thread, but people who don't control their dogs make me SO angry.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09 »
It's the owners to blame, of course. Sadly it's the dog that often pays the price.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

evie2

« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2011, 13:14 »
The fox visited at 4am this morning >:(

We were woken by Tinkers alarm call and there it was a huge dog fox nose against the run >:(

We'd left the pop hole open because it's been so warm at night.  Tinker and Georgie were in the run so the alarm call was very loud.  OH went out to make sure everything was ok and the fox ran down the garden only to walk back up again in the neighbours >:(

When we finally got them calmed down and did a head count Ruby was missing :( a bit of a mystery as we knew that the run hadn't been broken into :unsure:

We had a quick look under the hedges and in the trees but she wasn't there :(

Later when we let Star and the chicks into their run you can imagine out surprise and relief when out came Ruby too :D

Tonight all the hens will be locked up early and let out late and heaven help the fox if it comes back >:(

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 13:17 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2011, 13:45 »

We were woken by Tinkers alarm call and there it was a huge dog fox nose against the run >:(

We'd left the pop hole open because it's been so warm at night.  Tinker and Georgie were in the run so the alarm call was very loud.  OH went out to make sure everything was ok and the fox ran down the garden only to walk back up again in the neighbours >:(

When we finally got them calmed down and did a head count Ruby was missing :( a bit of a mystery as we knew that the run hadn't been broken into :unsure:

Later when we let Star and the chicks into their run you can imagine out surprise and relief when out came Ruby too :D

Tonight all the hens will be locked up early and let out late and heaven help the fox if it comes back >:(

Glad to hear the fox was unsucessfull Evie.  I am dreading having any sort of fox encounter.  :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

evie2

« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2011, 16:45 »
We've had hens taken before, it's awful :(  I just hope if it comes back and Tinker gives the alert again we'll be able to hear her from inside the coop :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2011, 17:19 »

We'd left the pop hole open because it's been so warm at night.  Tinker and Georgie were in the run so the alarm call was very loud.  OH went out to make sure everything was ok and the fox ran down the garden only to walk back up again in the neighbours >:(

It sounds to me as if Ruby's a clever bird and has a good hiding place.
Look for trap doors under the straw.  :lol:

Pleased to hear they are all safe.  :)

jen180387

« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2011, 17:05 »
we have lost alot too! ours have been through the middle of the day!! we have tried most things and seems to be getting better this week  :)

Chickensrus

• We dig dig dig on our allotment all day long!!!!
    • Huncoat Allotments
« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2011, 13:04 »
Hi all
Just reading some of the posts about foxes and thought I'd add this one to the list of deterrents it's a bit gross but apparently works. You need an empty washing up liquid bottle and then fill it with male urine!! Husbands,dads,brothers this is where they can help out! LOL oncethey have filled the bottle for you simply spray around the perimeter of you fencing about twice a week or after heavy rainfall the foxes are deterred by the scent of the urine!! I know it's gross but if it keeps our Girlies safe I'm sure you'd try it anyway!!!!
Chickens R GR8

joyfull

« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2011, 13:08 »
My husband tries his best to oblige with this but with half an acre it takes a lot of doing  ::). It really doesn't put off a hungry fox or mink though or one with young  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2011, 15:14 »
My husband tries his best to oblige with this but with half an acre it takes a lot of doing  ::). It really doesn't put off a hungry fox or mink though or one with young  :(

Maybe there is something to be said for a different life-style/culture.

Ever considered taking on a few more husbands?  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2011, 15:38 »
 :ohmy: good grief I struggle coping with the one I do have  ::) :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #298 on: July 16, 2011, 22:59 »
:ohmy: good grief I struggle coping with the one I do have  ::) :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: but you love him loads  ;)

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2011, 00:48 »
get him to drink more? (tea/ coffee of course  ;) )

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.