hens or bantams??

• 7 Replies

gowing238

• Experienced Member
hens or bantams??
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:52 »
Im having a dilemma on wether id be better off getting some hens or some bantams. They would be kept for eggs. I have got an area of approx 13 sq metres, which at the moment is patio, but some could be dug up and grassed, etc.

So as far as room is concerned, how many hens, or bantams could i keep in the area?

I am swaying towards bantams as im aware i dont have a huge amount of space, but am weary about having small eggs? What is the size difference between a hen and bantam egg??

Your help will be most appreciated.

thanks in advance
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

helens-hens

Re: hens or bantams??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 13:11 »
I thought there was quite a difference in egg size but I think it depends on the type of bantam you are thinking about getting i.e. true bantams or bantam versions of large fowl birds.

Looking at a similar thread on another poultry forum, some owners who have bantam versions of the large fowl birds (Wyandottes and Sussex were mentioned) then the eggs can be similar to that of some large fowl breeds.

I went to the nat. poultry show on the weekend and noticed that some of the bantam versions of large fowl were about the same size as my hybrid hens so maybe this is to be expected.

I am sure some bantam owners will be along soon to advise.
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 14:15 »
it does depend on the breed, the yolks of my sabelpoots eggs are roughly 1/2 - 2/3rds the size of the big girls yolks (even though the eggs themselves are about half size). However a serama egg is really tiny so doubt that the yolks would amount to much size wise but will be just as tasty  :D.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 14:54 »
thanks for the reply s! so giving i have only limited space do you think i would have room for 4 black rock hens?

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 15:10 »
that would give each hen just over 3 square metres per bird - or 3 per bird and 1 square meter for the coop. If the coop is raised off the ground on legs this would keep the run space as 13 square meters and if you have a table (or similar) in there that would give them extra space plus several different heights of perches or logs  :D
The thing with set runs is to make sure they have several things and variety to keep them interested - hand cabbages on strings to make them work for it and the same with apples etc. Having to stretch and leap up helps keep them fit and stops boredom.
Remember they will need a dust bath area which could be an old tyre or even an old plastic dog bed - perhaps placed under the coop to keep the sand and diatom mix dry  :)

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 15:59 »
oh great. i was thinking to cover about 5 square metres of the run and where the house is with that plastic corrugated stuff. so they could stay in outta the rain if they wanted! the area is all patio at the moment. would they be ok on that? or should i keep half patio and cover the other half in wood chip for them to scratch in or would i be better up pulling the patio up and turfing it for them?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 16:08 »
Turf would only last a few days I'm afraid, others on here have their birds on slabs and concrete and build sides on the run so that when they put wood chippings down they stay contained. If you do it deep enough they will enjoy scratching around in that especially in the evenings when you scatter a handfull of mixed corn for them  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 16:54 by joyfull »

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 16:42 »
thanks so much joyful. you have put my mind at rest! lets get building this run!

xx
hens and bantams together, when to buy??

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 16:11
by evie2
xx
Hens or Bantams

Started by TP on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 14:26
by Casey76
xx
Hens V Bantams?

Started by francais on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 21:04
by matilda duck
xx
can bantams and hens live together?

Started by scampy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 23:27
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.