Hens or Bantams

• 1 Replies

TP

Hens or Bantams
« on: June 14, 2010, 13:50 »
Please can someone advise me. 

I am starting with back garden hens.  My chicken Coop is 12 sqft (interior) and they will have 70sqft of run and will not be restricted to the penned run when supervised.  I want them for eggs really but I fancy a couple of cuties.

I would like 3 or 4 hens and my first idea is below, but I am open to advice:

1 x Frizzle  1 x Silkie  1 x Red Pekin  1 x Wyandotte

Do I go for Hens or Bantams and am I ok to have this number of hens humanely in the area I have for them? 

Do I need to introduce all my hens at the same time? (I can't find the ones I want all available at the same time)

Can they be different ages/sizes when introduced?  What would be the best ages to go for?

Thank you. T

Casey76

Re: Hens or Bantams
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 14:26 »
First question is I suppose, do you wand chickens for eggs/meat or just to be pets?

Bantams will ususaly lay eggs in the 35-40g range while large fowl (L/F) will normally lay 55g+ depending on breed.

Defra minimum space is 1sqm/yd per bird, but that is minimum, 2sqm is better, and if they are going to be in the run all the time (no opportunity for free ranging) then 3sqm is even better.  Bantams need less space than L/F, so you could probably stock to 1 bantam per sqm.

Now, Frizzles (a frizzled what?), silkies and Pekins all need special care because of ther feathers.  they will need to be under cover all the time, and in winter may need to be kept indoors.

If you get them from different soucres, they should be quarantined from each other for 2 weeks to make sure they aren't sick and to prevent any lurking bugs from being passed on.  That means different houses and different runs for each source.

they can be different ages and sizes when introduced, but if there is a great difference in size then the smallest will be picked on, and chickens can be vicious.  They can peck another to death then cannibalise the remains.  as they are your first hens I would recommend point-of-lay (POL).  Then you don't have to worry about having to have them under heat or switching from growers pellets to layers pellets.

Good luck with your venture

xx
hens and bantams together, when to buy??

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2011, 16:11
by evie2
xx
hens or bantams??

Started by gowing238 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 16:42
by gowing238
xx
Hens V Bantams?

Started by francais on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 21:04
by matilda duck
xx
can bantams and hens live together?

Started by scampy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 23:27
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 35 queries.