What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2790 on: December 28, 2011, 12:08 »
Took the kitchen waste up today, moved some soil around  to stop the weeds, dug up the last of the manky parsnips :( weeded around the onion sets and tidied up some bits of wood that 'may come in handy' one day  ::)
Had a sit in a quick burst of sunshine  8) picked some leeks and swede and came home.

I noticed that all the gooseberry buds are starting to break already...........such confusing weather!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2791 on: December 28, 2011, 14:08 »
Took my 'right hand man' Mr Sunny with me so while I cut down and chopped the asparagus stems, and carefully folded up the cloche covers to put in the shed, he dug over the area - about 2 x 1m -  where the cloches had been (much to the joy of a little robin  :lol: )

Then we collected about a cubic metre of wood chips from the pile dumped at the end of our roadway to top up paths towards the front of the plot, which looks rather good now. Will be making a flower bed all the way along one edge next season, only about a foot wide, so had to stand and think about that for ages.

Weeded the bed with spinach and celery, got rid of all the giant radishes into the compost bin

and came home for lunch
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2792 on: December 28, 2011, 16:03 »
Will be making a flower bed all the way along one edge next season, only about a foot wide, so had to stand and think about that for ages.

Not just me that spends part of my visit to the plot starring at a bare patch of ground as I work through ideas in my head, then?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2793 on: December 28, 2011, 16:04 »
Will be making a flower bed all the way along one edge next season, only about a foot wide, so had to stand and think about that for ages.

Not just me that spends part of my visit to the plot starring at a bare patch of ground as I work through ideas in my head, then?

I guess most of us do  :lol:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2794 on: December 28, 2011, 17:02 »
Ever so busy today... built my rather large upright cold-frame.  Paved the spot and plonked it on.. then drove some stakes into the ground and screwed it on to protect from being blown away.  Here is the finished product.... 
IMG_0088rs.jpg
IMG_0089rs.jpg
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 17:03 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2795 on: December 28, 2011, 18:15 »

I guess most of us do  :lol:

I definitely do  :blink:

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2796 on: December 28, 2011, 19:05 »
Took up a big bag of kitchen waste from Christmas dinner, along with about 6 black sacks full of well rotted grass clippings that I found when clearing our house's side passage.

Then proceeded to fill the car with all the junk that I couldn't compost or burn when taking over the plot and took it off to the local council tip. The last item to go into the compactor was an old wheelbarrow with no wheel and a massive hole rusted into the base. Had to laugh when a council jobsworth came running up to me shouting that wheelbarrows weren't allowed on the walkway to the scrap metal compactor. I pointed out that it didn't have a wheel so therefore was only a barrow and a scrap metal one at that. He went an interesting shade of red before stomping off back to his hut!

P.S. I also spent a good 20 minutes on time sitting on the plot just sitting visualising my next trip, and what I was going to do.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2797 on: December 28, 2011, 19:32 »
In the zone then Hesse  :lol: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #2798 on: December 28, 2011, 19:41 »
Your cold frame looks great Gavinconway.
Mr S(not the same one as you Sunny,at least I don't think so) & I went up to the plots & he assembled my new manure storage area from 4 hard wood doors we've replaced in the house,now we just need another delivery of manure to finish it off.I moved the compost from the dalek bins that I'm getting rid of to make room for the construction.It's starting to take shape now.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GaryPaula

« Reply #2799 on: December 28, 2011, 21:26 »
Went to the plot on Christmas Day and picked a LOT of Brussels, enough for the 12 of us who were coming for dinner, glad to say EVERYBODY enjoyed them.

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2800 on: December 29, 2011, 18:57 »
Collected about ten sheets of twin wall polycarb measuring 2 metres by about 70cm each, which will be more than sufficient to fix my small coldframe which I bought from Aldi last year, as the polycarb that came with it was very flimsy and I think probably not UV coated as it seems to have rotted after only one season! I was really chuffed with the new polycarb, as even though it is a bit manky (some Windowlene should sort that) it is very, very strong; and I suspect was previously from a conservatory roof.

Tomorrow I am picking up about a dozen pallets from the local 'art gallery', so am quite tempted to go down the same route as Gavin and build an uber frame. I still suspect I'll have plenty left after that too, so maybe cut the sheets in half lengthways, hinge them together down the long edge and made some cloches?

Also covered the four beds that I have already dug over with the weed control fabric I bought from eBay a little while back. I must say I was pretty disappointed with it once I opened it, as it was very thin (pretty much see through) and tore very easily in every direction bar the one I was trying to cut in. Still, it should do a job for me in the very short term, and I'll just have to come up with a better solution next year!

Finally, I made a temporary fence at the top of the plot so that I have something visual to work towards when the hard weeding, clearing and digging starts to feel like too much!

sion01

« Reply #2801 on: December 29, 2011, 22:17 »
Planted some plants that I didn't really need that I bought in a sale.9 strawberry plants,3 fleabane's,1 hebe(last winter killed them all off ) and 1 cotton lavender.
Then cleaned ,oiled/varnished and sharpend all my tools.

brightgirls

« Reply #2802 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58 »
finally got up to the allotment yesterday and found windows smashed on the shed - not sure if it was wind or vandals - nothing missing from shed except an old rain coat.   >:(

Made a temporary repair and then checked on progress of winter crops - covered over newly dug areas with tarpaulin and checked on rat progress.

Intended to do more digging but the cold and the window issue set me back a bit.

My onions planted in october look at bit sad !!

NellyCB

« Reply #2803 on: December 30, 2011, 18:14 »
Took delivery of timber to build myself 4 lovely new raised beds :)

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2804 on: December 30, 2011, 19:57 »
Filled the inside and outside raised beds with compost, then planted the outside beds with spring flower bulbs that were bought this morning with the supervision of Mrs Kosh to ensure I picked matching colours that went well in the lounge...

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.