coop & run

• 4 Replies

Walfre

coop & run
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:07 »
We are building our coop with run underneath ( Cocoon) measures 8' by 4'. We want to build a run around this 10' by 11' by 6' high. Hens will be in the cocoon when we are out for any time. Do we need to use weld mesh for the larger run, if so will it need to be 1" by 1" or could we get away with 2" mesh. 4Wire seem to do good prices for the mesh. Would using normal chicken mesh be safe enough for our birds. We want them to be safe but do not have a large budget. We do have 4 setters who could well put a fox off but they would be in our house when we are out. Can't leave them in the garden as any barking might upset the neighbours. We live on an estate but have had a couple of rare fox sitings along our road. Also intend to put paving slabs around perimiter of outer run, too many tree roots to dig down & bury mesh.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: coop & run
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:16 »
Hi Chris and welcome to the site.   :D

If you could make your outer run 9' x 12' x 6' it makes it much easier as you can make panels and screw or bolt them together.  There is plenty of choice online of premade panels which have the weldmesh on.  They vary in price which is down to the sizes of the wood and whether it is treated with paint or pressure treated.

Best to stick to welmesh if you make your own as a fox can chew through chicken wire.  My hubby is making me a walk in run for our flock and we bought 1/2" x 1/2" x 36" from 4wire.  I had researched and they were the best price for the same product I could find.  Prompt dispatch and delivery as well.  Hubby has made 5 panels up to now and cut all of the wood in to the right lengths for the rest.  Then he will panel 1' of the bottom with Shiplap or the like to stop them kicking everything out when they scrat about.

Will try and post a photo of the panel for you.   :)
WIR Panel (600 x 450).jpg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:45 by ANHBUC »
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28 »
ANHBUC...

Sorry to be nosey, but do you mind me asking where you sourced your timber for the panels? And did you go for 2" by 2" treated timber? Looks lovely.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 13:48 »
ANHBUC...

Sorry to be nosey, but do you mind me asking where you sourced your timber for the panels? And did you go for 2" by 2" treated timber? Looks lovely.

Timber was bought as a bundle off eBay and advertised as sawn treated timber 50mm x 47mm and came in 4.2m lengths from ukinsulation in Reigate (free delivery).  They then cantract it to a local supplier and ours came from Dove Building Materials and they supplied 45mm x 45mm x 4.2m which worked out great as the edges are rounded off. 

If you are thinking of getting some I would ring your local supplier or go and see what timber they have and negotiate a price (let them know you can get a better deal elsewhere).  Ours worked out at £4 per 4.2m length but as I said we did bulk buy as our WIR will be over 15' square.  Will be using any left over for other projects or on panels to sell locally.  We tried to buy locally but no one does them near us so there should be a market.

Have found that it takes 3 lengths to make 2 panels that is without the corner braces which you can make 13 braces out of one length.  You will need enough wood for the equivalent of one panel for putting a door inside of a frame.  Hope this makes sense.   ::)

If you need any more information just let me know as we did loads of research before starting the project.   ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 15:13 »
The weldmesh we use is 1/2in by 1in.  A rat and possibly things like mink or stoats could squeeze through a 1 inch gap

xx
new coop and run

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 22:06
by cheshirecat
xx
Does anyone have this coop?

Started by Willow_Warren on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 27, 2012, 11:33
by Willow_Warren
xx
New Coop

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 08:30
by Sassy
xx
Hot coop?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:02
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 35 queries.