slugs

• 18 Replies

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
slugs
« on: March 14, 2007, 19:40 »
Thought I'd start a thread on ways of dealing with with slugs, if ones not already running.
A cute way i was given by a little old church going lady you'd think would'nt hurt a fly. Was to always carry a pair of scissors, and every time you see one cut the * in half. They dont like that much.
 One I've tried with some success is soot round the plants and in with the potatos.
Someone used to leave bags of soot at the allotments so it was easy to get.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

davep

slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 19:43 »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock: pure evil from the old girl!!!bad karma man,bad karma........ :twisted:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Re: slugs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 19:43 »
Quote from: "slowcompost"
A cute way i was given by a little old church going lady you'd think would'nt hurt a fly. Was to always carry a pair of scissors, and every time you see one cut the * in half. They dont like that much.

I do this - it has a zero re-offending rate  :twisted:  The remains are always hoovered up by something, so I like to think some helpful creature might stay on my plot if it gets a poison-free snack all helpfully cut up into bite sized chunks!

Annie

slugs
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 19:47 »
Only problem with scissors is that the little black ones are too small and I cannot bring myself to snip the hugh 4" long ones.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
slugs
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 20:50 »
Annie, what you need is what I breed!

these little monsters

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: slugs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 20:50 »
Quote from: "slowcompost"
Thought I'd start a thread on ways of dealing with with slugs, if ones not already running.
 One I've tried with some success is soot round the plants and in with the potatos.
Someone used to leave bags of soot at the allotments so it was easy to get.

:tongue2: Well what a coincidence, slowc., I was going to ask about this myself because I have just put the spuds in and a friend said I should get some of the biological control NEMATODES. I went to Gordale Nuseries and they said they had to send a card to the suppliers who would send the stuff to our home. I have not done this yet because they say the microscopic worms which eat the slugs, will remain active for up to 3 weeks. Also that the worms will keep for only 3 weeks in the fridge.

So my question is when should I ask for the nematodes to be delivered :?: . Cos I don't know when the spuds will be vunerable and under attack from the slugs.

Of course I can phone the suppliers and ask but I,d like some advice fro our own experts first please.
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
slugs
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 20:57 »
Well, fwiw, I used just nematodes and scissors to control slugs last season (my first), and had very few problems.  They were great.  You need to wait until the soil is a bit warmer (needs to be 5C at least) though, as the nematodes don't like the cold.  I had left mine in the fridge (and forgot about them) for a couple of months  :oops: and they still worked really well.  I only used one application, but plan to be a lot more thorough with it this year.

Annie

slugs
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 21:07 »
We`ve got a dew pond at the bottom of the garden but the neighbours(whos pond it is strictly speaking)put fish in!The dragon flies do OK but 0 tadpoles.We do have toads but they mostly live in the cellar despite our efforts to broaden their horizons!

muntjac

slugs
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 21:08 »
stop waffling n stomp the beggers  :twisted:  :twisted:
and i used to pull the wings offen daddy longlegs hehehhehe :evil:
still alive /............

Annie

slugs
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 21:11 »
It`s OK Shaun he`s talking about long legs...

muntjac

slugs
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 22:01 »
Quote from: "Annie"
It`s OK Shaun he`s talking about long legs...

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
slugs
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 14:05 »
Hi Jimt
When to stop slugs on potatos.
Re slugs on potatos. i found if you get the potatos up early, before the tops go over, you can beat the slugs. Unfortunatly you dont then get the biggest potatos and they reckon they dont keep so well.
So i would think the time to treat for slugs is not too long before they are ready.

Annie

slugs
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 22:31 »
We get loads of slugs in our clay soil but they rarley touch the potatoes or other root veg until very late in the season.

shaun

slugs
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 22:33 »
just seen this
there you go again on about me legs right i'm off to bed now in a huff  :lol:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Annie

slugs
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 22:39 »
Now,now Shaun some people like short,hairy legs.(Muntjac,how do I do thet big laughing face thing?!)

xx
slugs

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 08:31
by m1ckz
xx
slugs already ?????

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 13:13
by tosca100
xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 09:56
by seedman
xx
slugs 1 me 0

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2016, 06:41
by cbu183

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 39 queries.