Re: Fox Attack Warning.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 22:34 »
Aw Sarah, so sorry, just read this post  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 22:38 »
Your duck stands the best chance with you vember ! :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 08:00 »
How is he this morning Sarah? xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Vember

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 09:18 »
He's ok :)
I'll start another thread in CC, really only mentioned it so people would be aware that a slight variation to the normal routine and the fox is watching and waiting  :mad:

Best not clog up this thread  ;)

Sarah :D

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 19:42 »
aw Sarah, i'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking when the fox attacks, i'm paranoid over mine taking themselves off to the lake (i have been known to drive my car over to supervise ::)) hope your poorly one gets better.

Tania

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 21:29 »
I was caught really off guard over the weekend when we spotted a fox parading through the village at 08.00! Luckily, it didn't pay us a visit and thankfully our chooks were secure.

TeaPots

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 22:43 »
 :( I thought mine were safe. WRONG! enclosed run, wire buried, roofed, so the fox kicked in the side panel to get in. Took all my precious Polands. At least there were no bodies left for me to have to deal with.

rspencer5855

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11 »
Hi  I am new here to this site , but last weekend Mr Fox got 7 of my beauties, despite what I thought was great protection. so I can sympathise with you.

I am going to start again, but I have a question. Is it possible to succesfful co-habit bantams and large birds together or it is best to stick with the same. I can see a potential problem with bullying but I would like to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27 »
I have both silkie crosses and large fowl together without any problems but my sablepoots who ae really tiny have suffered a little bit recently so am moving them into a large covered aviary style run to help protect them a little and also this means that in bad weather they will be protected from the elements.

mad chicken

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 12:34 »
I have had problems with the fox :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 13:07 »
I caught Mr Fox sniffing around on Wednesday night. I had the window open and the ducks started making an almighty noise so I rushed out (3am!) and the fox climbed back over the 6ft fencing  :unsure: :ohmy: The duck house is about as safe as it can be. It has two locking points on each door - a bolt and a clasp - and is strongly built. I can't wait until the roof is on the run and I know they are even safer. The chicken house needed a little extra securing (in my jimjams at 3am this was a fun task) but they too should be safe at night. I'm careful to lock up before dusk after the last attack.

This also shows how quickly a new fox will move into territory and work out what is good to eat! The fox that attacked last time was caught by another poultry keeper with his ducks and he despatched it and it had a mate that it was hunting with and (s)he was run over on the railway line two days later so this fox is a new arrival. So, as has been said on here many times, shooting/disposing of the fox just leads to another taking up the territory within a matter of months  :( The only way to be fox/predator safe is good security, making sure they are locked up tight at dusk and it would also seem sleeping with the window open so you can run out in your pj's to chase off the little *****  :blink: ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 13:21 »
at least you sleep in PJ's :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 15:56 »
well.... lets just say it was a good job it was after the hot weather broke or the neighbours would have had a scare  ;) :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 08:42 »
I spotted a large fox last night strolling over the main road in front of me.  I hurried quickly home as I'd put my hens away in their covered run but had not locked their door. 

My hens were attacked by a fox last September, and after seeing one last night, it's a timely reminder to check defences  :(

Springlands

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 17:04 »
I had just shut the greenhouse door last night and was walking towards the hen run when I noticed a fox in the garden - as soon as it saw me it ran behind the hen run and towards the fields next to our garden. The hens were not happy. OH decided to encourage the hens to to into their house (normally they go in themselves and are not happy if you try to put them away early) but they were so scared that they practically ran in themselves. We are now keeping a close eye out for Mr Fox.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.