grow and throw

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

grow and throw
« on: May 18, 2019, 19:13 »
we where watching Monty last night did you see part when he told us how he grows his brassicas well a lovely row of brassicas can't remember if they where cabbage

so what did he do to this lovely roe of brassicas well he thinned them out to the desired width throwing the rest away I could have cried what a waste of good plants I told myself something I would never think of doing because I buy F1 seed that as you all know is not cheep so I try to use as many as I can growing the seed in a pot transplanting the seedlings into individual pots waste not want not

I know the old gardeners grew rows of brassicas years ago and then composting the left overs but I think the  method of sowing seed in pots pricking out into pots or modules saves wasting good plants

snowdrops

Re: grow and throw
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 19:32 »
Yes but the idea behind him growing in a seed bed was to minimise using plastic in the garden & afterall there’s only so many brassica you can plant & eat 😂 says she who has half a dozen of everything growing(mind you that’s better than I usually do, I’ve been known to prick out 1 or 2 doz in the past 🙄
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 21:17 »
Maybe he wasn't using F1 seed? For brassica I generally don't want uniformity so they're all ready at the same time. Plenty of good ordinary seeds.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 18:06 »
I take your points but that's not how I work I hate to waste any plants and any brassicas surplus go in the freezer still think my way is saving seed but all for there own A"

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 07:21 »
Im with the OP here, hate throwing out seedlings. I sow thinly to avoid having to thin out seedlings once they've grown but that often results in some gaps / failed cell sown seeds but there you go. I console myself with the fact that some flowers produces masses of seed only to serve the prospect that a few will germinate and that some waste is 'factored in' naturally.

al78

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 08:56 »
I plant what I think I will eat during the year plus a few extra to account for slug damage. I end up with packets of seed that are used for 3-4 years at which point they get replaced, so it works out the same anyway, you either throw away excess seedlings or excess old seed. For amateur gardeners 200+ seeds is unnecessary, what we need is a way of buying just the amount of seed you want, say, like the equivalent of the pick'n'mix.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 09:21 »
Some seed packets, especially containing the F1s mentioned above, don't contain huge quantities of seed, plus some  companies do supply in smaller packets, if you look around.

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:46 »
Some seed packets, especially containing the F1s mentioned above, don't contain huge quantities of seed, plus some  companies do supply in smaller packets, if you look around.

My local garden centre sells a brand called County seeds for 99p a pack which seems to have half the normal quantity and suits me well.

xx
Companion flowers plants.... throw and grow???

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 18:09
by Dopey113
xx
I was going to throw this away !

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 13:53
by bigben
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 48 queries.