Slow cooker

• 44 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 22:45 »
Without my book I can't remember the chicken timings, but I would definitely caution against overcooking chicken thighs - they disintegrated leaving lots of bones throughout.  Not happy!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 22:49 »
but they'd do that in the oven as well, it's not the fault of the slowcooker, but of the cook  :lol:  :lol: (I also speak from experience ;) )

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 22:53 »
More the fault of the recipe - I've never had them disintegrate in the oven before when following an oven recipe; they disintegrated in the slow cooker despite the s.c. recipe being followed.  Can't blame the cook for that one (though I accept it's not the s.c.'s fault either) !  :D

Just cautioning against assuming that all recipes will be fine with 8 hours' cooking!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 22:54 by Yorkie »

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 14:07 »
If I could tempt you with any meal it would be slow cooked shin of beef Thai style
One pound of shin beef ) chopped in to large lumps (2” or there about)
Half a can of coconut milk
Half a box of Aldi passata 
Spoonful of minced Garlic
Tea spoonful of Ginger finely chopped 
One ultra hot chilli whole with seeds in (take out at end)
On heaped spoonful of masuman Thai curry paste (red or green dependent on how hot you like it
Cook in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours or so.
At the end all you have to do is add a little lime juice and a spoonful of sugar to taste. 
Serves five, or more if you cook some wok noodles

Well, when I get in from the allotment, I should be able to smell this cooking! :D

Springlands

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 07:53 »
My slow cooker has arrived - so now I just have to go to the butchers and re-stock the freezer.  :)

madcat

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04 »
Don't need to hit the butchers if you dont want to ...  I've just put a pumpkin korma in mine...  That's tonight sorted!  (Bar the rice ...)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Springlands

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43 »
Don't need to hit the butchers if you dont want to ...  I've just put a pumpkin korma in mine...  That's tonight sorted!  (Bar the rice ...)

Unfortunately my OH thinks he is being deprived if there is not some meat with his main meal.  ::) ::)  Like the sound of the pumpkin korma though.

madcat

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 17:49 »
Don't tell him indoors, but he doesn't get anything like as much meat as he thinks he does ...  that beef casserole with beans and veg and served with cabbage and dumplings and ....  not that much beef in it!   ;)  Ditto the chicken curry or the pasta sauce or ...

I get away with veggie curries because they are 'different' and special and come with pappadums or chappattis or naan ... as well as the rice.  Didnt get away with dahl though, had to do a chicken tikka as well to swing that (hey, a chicken thigh!).

What we do to get them to eat healthily ...    :nowink:

Springlands

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 18:17 »
Must admit that I do the same Madcat - lots of veggies in stews and less meat - but the thing is that there has to be some meat. I really do not think that I would get away with a veggie curry - BUT worth a try.  ::) ::)

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 20:00 »
Mrs G and I reckon to have about 2oz of meat per Growster(ette) each meal. The rest is veg, etc.

Works fine, as the pressure's on me mainly, to get enough veg in the pantry!

Just discussed this subject evening, that we may have had enough of Brussels for the time being! Sign of the season!

I love grated swede though, and the best parsnip just popped out this arvo, with a big grin too...

Good time of year, but I wish I knew how to grow good cabbage for slaws, because they cost about a quid, and I should be able to do much better...!

Springlands

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 20:20 »
Made my first casserole in the slow cooker - meat and lots and lots of veggies. Worked really well - OH was very impressed.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32 »
Made my first casserole in the slow cooker - meat and lots and lots of veggies. Worked really well - OH was very impressed.

I think that's the key to cutting down on meat - the gravy tastes so good in a slow cooker you don't notice the lack of meat. I also do loads of yorkshires and spuds to stretch it out a bit, I add orange lentils to mince with grated carrot & celery, and "beef" up pork casseroles with sweet potatoes and pinto beans - really can't afford a shed load of meat and not sure that too much red meat is good for you either :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53 »
I agree Janey  :)  Beans, lentils and stuff like barley really do take up the sauce in the slow cooker and taste great.  My favourite bits of the end result usually  :D

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 15:50 »
Might try poaching a gamon in it this weekend - then I can leave it unsupervised while I do house & garden stuff (or wander around here, chatting....)
ManicMum

madcat

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 16:40 »
gammon and parsley sauce ....    Mmmmmm!

(we need a lip licking emoticon!)

xx
Slow cooker - which one

Started by BigPaddy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx
slow cooker

Started by greenjay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:05
by Aled
xx
Help with slow cooker

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 14:14
by tadpole
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.