Which rotovator???? Any for sale? Advice needed

• 22 Replies

Southmead

• http://www.southmead.dsl.pipex.com
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 18:25 »
Hello all

Well, I have at last taken the plunge and purchased a Merry Tiller Super Major 5hp with a Briggs & Stratton engine that needs a bit of 'tlc', ie it is not working yet.

I am leaving the 'tlc' to my husband to do!  I have downloaded John's pdf and found a few interesting pieces on the web.  I have also borrowed a Haynes manual for small engines for OH to look at.  I cannot get him away from the manual now!!!!

Thank you everyone for your input into this, my first rotovator, now for the next part, trying to get it to work!

Will keep you posted.  Any other help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gwiz

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 05:41 »
well done! seeing as you are so local, if you have any trouble with it, give me a shout. :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 08:27 »
Welcome to the Merry Tillers Owners Club!
My tip for getting the engine going, after 40 minutes of pulling the cord to no effect. Put some petrol in. Yes, I am rubbish with motors :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Gwiz

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 17:21 »
the fuel tank is below the carb on this type of briggs engine, most starting problems are due to the petrol pick up filter (on the end of the pick up pipe inside the fuel tank) being dirty, or the diaphragm being u/s ( halfway along the carb body behind a square plate held on by 4 screws) very old engines had points, these are found behind the flywheel, and have an integral condensor.if you fi`t new ones dont forget to "dress" them with some fine emery cloth to take off any protective coating, before fitting them. i have`nt fitted a set of points on a briggs engine for a long time. i think they were set to about 15 thou-ish but your book should have the correct setting in it, if not i will look it up for you. the engine takes a pint of oil from empty or 500ml if you prefer. :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 20:27 »
That's it gwiz - rub it in :)
Look, I thought it had fuel in - I checked after 10 minutes and was sure it had some in there.

I had worked out where the fuel went for myself - I thought that was pretty clever.

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 05:57 »
its quite a deep fuel tank isnt it? and it can be difficult to see down to the bottom, dont use a match for illuimation tho................. :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 10:35 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
its quite a deep fuel tank isnt it? and it can be difficult to see down to the bottom, dont use a match for illuimation tho................. :lol:

Being serious, it is deep and I had checked by looking. pal suggested using a dipstick to check.

Years back we (my firm) were fitting a kitchen and there was a problem under the gas hob. So one fitter is in the cupboard and can't see. He lit a match <BOOM>

Now we'd been ribbing him about having his hair permed - he came out with it an inch shorter and smoking :)

The customer was dialling 999 and we were rolling around laughing (including the chap who went boom)

Happy days

Southmead

• http://www.southmead.dsl.pipex.com
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 09:48 »
Hello everyone!  :D

Update.  My OH has got the engine running and the engine seems ok.

We do not have a lot of information on how the actual rotovator part works, so we are just going to take it down to the bottom of the garden at the weekend and see how it goes! :shock:

I hope all goes ok.  If anyone out there has any advice on the actual workings of the rotovators themselves, my OH would be glad to hear from you.

I also need to get some transport wheels for it, as the rotovator did not come with them.  Any ideas on where I could get a decent set including the frame they go on from?

Tracy

xx
Rotovator advice needed.

Started by Saulty on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 10:44
by smud6ie
xx
Rotovator gear needed, can anyone help me, please

Started by Thomo on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 20:55
by bluedog
xx
dm 2 flymo rotovator partsbook/workshop manual needed

Started by bullgoose on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 06:47
by Gwiz
xx
Advice about which rotovator

Started by Jimbo001 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 00:27
by Jimbo001

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.