Roast Chicken

• 5 Replies

Clarie

Roast Chicken
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:21 »
For those that saw my earlier post, you'll know that we had to dispatch one of our cockerels who had starting crowing loudly and irritating the neighbours. Whilst I felt bad about it, I also felt out of respect for something we'd raised we should eat him. Otherwise it would have seemed a waste of a life.
So we had roast chicken last night. Well, I cooked roast chicken and I really tried to eat it but I'm sorry I just couldn't. It didn't seem right. Even my husband wasn't keen and my daughter refused point blank to even try it.  We have three other cockerels, so when their time comes we'll donate them to a less fussy friend.
One thing that really took me aback though was how different the meat was to what we've been used to. I never buy meat from the supermarket, only a good quality butcher. However our free range bird was much gamier in flavour and the meat much darker. I wasn't expecting that and think that was part of what put me off.
It was an interesting experiment but I'm just going to stick to enjoying lovely fresh eggs from now on!

DannyBoy230

Re: Roast Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:23 »
Awww that's a shame that you couldn't eat the meal - However I think I would be exactly the same (struggling) while the OH and kids would straight refuse!

I have read do many times how different the quality of meat is, quite remakable really.

Thrift

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:32 »
Now I wouldn't have had a problem ...... so delicious  8)  but the best plan is to put them in the freezer for a few months and by the time they've been jumbled around with all the other stuff you've completely forgotten who was who.

Just don't put their names on the pack  :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:05 »
Just don't put their names on the pack  :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have been thinking of the possibility of getting some broilers, whilst I am very sure it wont affect me (shot and eaten pigeon and other stuff with a game keeper I used to know) I am not too sure about the rest of the family, I am pretty sure that little legs (6) would eat it I dont think the wife would and the eldest would be crying in her room  ???
We will see.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Clarie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:20 »
.."don't put the names on the pack"

Hilarious, thank you that did make me laugh.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 17:23 »
Any of mine I've had to dispatch have gone to the freezer for long enough for me to separate myself from the act of killing them which is what I find really upsetting. I then don't have a problem with eating them but could never face it on the day of the kill.

Did have a slightly uncomfortable meal once when my aunt presented me with a shoulder of lamb from "Neville" who had been born on the day my Grandad died and had hence been named after him! Yummy though.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
For the chicken that has everything

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 09:24
by Springlands
xx
One very wet chicken.

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 19:32
by New shoot
xx
Chicken Pot

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 05:00
by min200
xx
A chicken thank you?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 16:18
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.