Vaseline and scaly leg

• 7 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Vaseline and scaly leg
« on: September 27, 2011, 20:59 »
I've heard that vaseline is good for scaly leg but when I went down to my chemist they only had a small pot and I have 13 chickens!!  Where can I get a big pot from?  I've tried the scaly leg spray by net-tex twice now and I cant really see any difference.  Should there be a visible change by now or do you have to keep using it until the scales come off?

evie2

Re: Vaseline and scaly leg
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 21:44 »
We get huge tubs from Tesco other supermarkets will also have them :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 23:41 »
Vaseline is the company product name, petroleum jelly is the generic name for the product.  Petroleum jelly is available very cheaply in supermarkets in the baby section usually.
However Frontline cat drops (4 on the skin at the back of the neck) is a more effective cure. 

It takes a long while before the scales are regrown many months in fact.  Don't try to remove the scales as you will cause bleeding and allow possible infection.  Healthy tight fitting scales will eventually replace the raised old scales.  Lightly brushing with soapy water can help but that also washes off the FL so don't do this too often.  Repeat the FL after 5 weeks.
HF
Truth through science.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 17:37 »
I spoke to the vet about frontline on chickens and she said that its not meant for chickens and she couldnt reccommend it and if I felt confident to use it then that was my decision to make!!
So how do I know when the mites are gone?  If the scales are going to just stay there how long would I use the vaseline of spray?

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 20:42 »
FL isn't intended for chx but is often prescribed.  Drug companies will only license for species from which there is a reasonable financial return chx don't come under that catagory as it's only a backyard/ pet application.  Commercial farmers would never think opf treating chx on an individual basis and I doubt scaley leg mite is an issue in a commercial flock anyway.

Vets are usually a little more enlightened.  However FL is readily available without prescription.
HF

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 22:33 »
My vet clinic always covers themselves very carefully when selling me things for my chickens.  All the labels have "not licensed for use in poultry" printed on them, even though the vet knows exactly what I'm using them for - and uses them on his own chickens!

As HF said, they are covering themselves legally as the products haven't gone through the long and expensive testing process for use with chickens.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 23:02 »
What I am confused about is if I use vaseline or scaly leg spray - how long do I use these products for?  If the scales are still there till their next moult how do I know the mites are dead?

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 00:45 »
When I've treated this I've just followed the advice for the medication I'm not sure you can actually tell as the mite are mighty small and bore into the flesh anyway.
I would have thought some improvement would be seen in 4 weeks or so.
HF
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 00:47 by hillfooter »

xx
Vaseline

Started by hendreary on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 00:04
by compostqueen
xx
Going to get the vaseline out...

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 12:59
by GrannieAnnie
xx
scaly leg

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 20:58
by sussexchook
xx
Scaly leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2009, 12:18
by beulah59

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.