Training your chickens?

• 12 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Training your chickens?
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:02 »
I wondered if anyone has any experience in keeping your flock in line?!  :D

We have five silkies, all have turned out to be girls and are laying regularly (first egg on 18th Dec)

The worry I have is that they make a right old racket when they have laid an egg.  They look at the sitting room window and let rip!  I'm worried because with it being winter the trees around the garden are not in leaf, so the noise travels like anything.

Is there anything I can do to stop them making the noise fo so long.  If I go up and collect the egg they stop.  But I'm worried about what'll happen if I'm not here during the day.

We live in a council house and although we have permission to keep the hens, there is always that clause that if anyone complains I'll have to rehome them.  I don't want people to complain.

We live in a small area of houses in a rural village.  The garden slopes up hill to the end of the garden, and I wonder if I'd be better making them a home nearer the house.  Our neighbours are fine with them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Training your chickens?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10 »
it is perfectly normal for them to make a noise after laying - lots of chickens do this as they want everybody to know they have done their duty  :).
some will even make the noise before they lay as well  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41 »

we gave away a few of our eggs to some of our neighbours we didn't know very well, it was a real ice-breaker with some, we just explained about our new arrivals and hoped they weren't making too much noise, everyone was really pleasant and one neighbour who i was particularly worried about as her house is nearer to the chooks than mine,  was great and they've got girls of their own now, so maybe knock on a few doors with a big smile and half a dozen free eggs, i think you'll find most people are great and love to be included  :D

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 17:22 »
When I first had my girls and the started to lay I was horrified at the noise they could make! The neighbours loved it and I make sure they get some eggs now and again to keep it that way!

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 17:41 »
likewise, I was cringing when I first heard the noise they can make, spoke to the neighbours, they  like hearing them and I do give them eggs!

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 18:05 »
As with ^^^. You could go deaf with our lot, but the neighbours love them. Don't panic.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 14:16 »
Thanks everyone. 

I've given some to the next door neighbours on one side, but not the other.  I'll have to brave the dogs in the front garden and take some around!

I just love them so much, and knowing how petty people can be, I'd hate to be told to re-home them.  We've spent a fortune on getting set up.

SamnElla

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 18:10 »
I read about this the other day, apparently it's because the chicken is a jungle fowl, and in the wild the flock would be constantly on the move, the racket after they stop and lay is " I'm done - now where have you lot got to ?" and they would wait until one of the others reply before they go and rejoin the flock.
So best of luck trying to change 20 million years of chicken evolution !
Giving eggs to the neighbours sounds a lot easier !!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 19:37 by SamnElla »
It's all good in da wood

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 18:37 »
I think you might be right  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 19:34 »
1 of mine started screaching the place down at 6.30 this morning.  It was still pitch black outside and hope to god she didnt wake anyone up though it was so loud that she must have.  Think it was because hubby was up early and they see the kitchen light on.  Have told him he will just have to walk about in the dark from now on.  Defo dont want neighbours complaining.  :unsure:   

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 22:19 »
One of my coops has a little window, for the same reason as you, I blocked off the window, and they stay in the dark until I tell them its morning. It works for my cockerels, and they are then quiet until 7.30am

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:43 »

we gave away a few of our eggs to some of our neighbours we didn't know very well, it was a real ice-breaker with some, we just explained about our new arrivals and hoped they weren't making too much noise, everyone was really pleasant and one neighbour who i was particularly worried about as her house is nearer to the chooks than mine,  was great and they've got girls of their own now, so maybe knock on a few doors with a big smile and half a dozen free eggs, i think you'll find most people are great and love to be included  :D

This is the sort of solution I like, good latteral thinking Sue.  You are never going to stop a hen exaulting after laying so solving the problem by getting the neighbours onside is a great idea.
HF
Truth through science.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 22:08 »
As well as the occasional free egg, why don't you introduce your neighbours to your girls?

There's a footpath going past my garden and I now have a regular gang of girls who stop by the fence and want to catch up with what the chooks have been up to. The chooks like it as the girls like to give them worms and a stroke.

Apparently parents have been told that chickens are cool ...

xx
Training Chickens

Started by TJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 15:35
by joyfull
xx
advice on training chickens please..

Started by ruthsamuel2 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 06:20
by dizzylizzie
xx
duck training . . . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2007, 09:48
by daveinmanc
xx
Training my new girls

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 09:13
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 35 queries.