scaly leg

• 13 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
scaly leg
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:30 »
In the past I have treated scaly leg mite with a spray (expensive) but found it tricky and wasteful to be sure legs were covered especially as my bantams have very feathery legs. I also used vaseline - very messy for me and chooks with all those feathers.  A local chap I met said he used oil and dipped legs right in to smother the mites. This seemed such a logical idea and similar to vaseline that I got a value pot of oil and made a bath to stand the chickens in one at a time and it went well, with me feeling I had covered legs and therefore the mites completely and the chickens seemed to quite like it. Now though, although well and happy and laying they all look SO scruffy. The light sussex (only one without feathered legs) could be renamed dirty grey sussex. I am wondering if I made a big mistake and should have stuck with the spray or if the dusty sheen will wear off. They are not bedraggled or oily looking just dusty. Has anyone else used this method?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: scaly leg
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:40 »
What oil did you use?

You should be able to bathe the area using puppy or kitten shampoo in luke warm water in a washing up bowl.  They love having a bath just make sure you gently towel dry and use a cool hairdryer to finish off if it is not a warm day.  Don't put them outside wet or damp if it is cold.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59 »
I used a cheap vegetable oil usually used for cooking. I only bathed their legs in it. However it is not their legs which are scruffy but their whole bodies. It is most noticeable on the light sussex. All her white feathers are grey dusted. They are free ranging and the ground is dusty so I know where they are getting dusty.  Thinking about it, I suspect the boys have been getting oil on the girls while doing their business. Their feathers don't look oily just dusty. However legs are looking like they are recovering.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 10:08 »
Try bathing them then to remove the oil it may take more than one go but best not to use shampoo too often and make sure to rinse it off.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28 »
If I bathe them and remove the oil will the scaly leg problem carry on? At the moment it looks like the scales are coming off which I presume is good?

splash101

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:36 »
I've read about using oil too and i think it suffocates the mites so it might have done the job already.

Try not to pick any of the scales.

If its any consolation, my light sussex look dusty too, far too much fun to be had in rolling in the dirt.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38 »
Maybe I'll see how they go. It is not as if they're going to be on show!

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 18:43 »
The mites should be dead and the scales should renew when they go through a molt.  The only trouble with oil on the feathers would be that they might not be able to keep warm or cool down.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:25 »
it has been very dry here are you sure that she just isn't dirty from dust bathing? My Light sussex used to look really mucky! ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 20:22 »
It could just be all the dry dust (helped to stick a bit by the oil). She managed the winter mud without looking like this though. It is actually quite pretty in a lacy grey sort of way but I miss that lovely white bustle :)

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55 »
Apart from their legs and feet my hens were cleaner in the winter - no dust bathing! ::)

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 17:00 »
I wouldn't worry about them looking scruffy. Oils do work - some old farmers used engine oil after it had been used in the engine Yuk. I spray their legs with oil which may be easier than rubbing in- although once I did this when they were on the perches at bedtime and facing me; the next night they were all with their backs to me and laying down on their feet! Tinkers.
Vaseline is great, but I suspect they often clean it off before it has had chance to get deeply into gaps between scales. Savlon ointment is better, but a bit expensive. Some old books suggest surgical spirit, but it seems that this is painful so not a good idea.

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 17:06 »
Used engine oil is carcinogenic.   :ohmy: 

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 20:58 »
oil sounds a great idea and cheap!! how oftern do you have to dip there feet in the oil for it to become affective

xx
Scaly Leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:29
by Vember
xx
Scaly leg

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2009, 12:18
by beulah59
xx
scaly leg?

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 21:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
Scaly leg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 17:41
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 35 queries.