Poorly Chicken again

• 13 Replies

Hawkins

Poorly Chicken again
« on: March 31, 2009, 17:11 »
I have a poorly chicken again, showing the same symptoms as Holly did.
Lethargic
standing all tucked up
small crop
not eating a lot
no eggs
runny poo
Warm under the wings
Cold crest

have watched her for 3 days, didnt sleep very well last night so this morning we went off to the vet. I dont think he was any great chicken eggspert and said very little but did give me some Baytril and see her in a week unless she goes down hill.

Question
Directions for the baytril is 2ml in 500 ml of water. At that rate I dont think she  will get enough in her. Any ideas if I can give it to her another way. Ive heard people put it on bread but then at what ml.

Any tips and ideas would be great. i dont want to loose another.

Oh and I brought her home OH is going to have a shock tonight but this time she is in the shed with the rabbits and guinea pigs. Shes currently wandering around the garden with them eating grass.

Any ideas please.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Vember

Re: Poorly Chicken again
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 17:13 »
Don't know Em Sorry :(

Hope she perks up soon for you x

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 17:46 »
If you would prefer the oral solution which you simply syringe in or pop on bread, I would phone and ask maybe they could swop for the medication you have been given (if you haven't opened it) Ask for Baytril 2.5% and weigh her first, as the dose will be calculated on weight.
Good luck with her.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 18:04 »
As Foxy says you can get an oral solution which is what I had for Patrick. Much easier to get into them especially if she is not drinking. Is a bit of a knack to getting it down them but at least you know they are getting it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

staffschicks

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 18:08 »
When one one mine was sick she wasn't eating or drinking so my vet gave me injections, I injected them into her chest (breast I suppose) she picked up slowly and is now OK.  I was happy that she was getting the correct dose and I don't think it was much more costly than oral ( the consultation and antibiotic inclucing syringes cost £19-00 - more than a replacement chicken bit that wasn't really the point).

raeburg

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 18:30 »
Mines having 1ml of 2.5% baytril twice a day.  She's a rescue ex bat weighing 2.33 kg.

spiderchick

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 19:16 »
hi, i have been just been reading about your poorly chicken, i seem to have the same problem with mine. i have lost two and am new to chickens having been used to rabbits(lots of them). i had them of a friend of mine (they had had them two years).
the first thing i noticed was the runny poo which started out green then went white then she stopped eating and drinking.i sat with her for over a hour trying to get her to eat and drink but it happened so fast. my son was really upset and so was i. we have now only two left and i dont know when to get some more. these two seem ok (at the moment :happy:)
i hope you can find out what is wrong with your chickens i have asked a few people i know that have chickens and they have just said it is one of those things :(... not really helpful

hope your chicken gets better
 all the best

staffschicks

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 19:22 »
The problem with 2 cickens is that if you lose one one is left on it's one.  I know some people have had problems integrating new chickens but in my (short) experience it settles down in a couple of weeks. 

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20 »
spoke to the vet yesterday who advised it could be given orally if she wasnt drinking much and to give it to her  twice a day about 1ml each time.

So I have started doing this.

She is still with us but still lethargic. I am trying everything to keep her eating, Warm layers mash, warm porridge, warm potato mash a little cat food, a few dry mealworms a few live mealworms. She also has corn, rabbit food and sry layers mash around her. Her crop is tiny but she did lay a lash yesterday.

Any ideas what else I can try. she has a bit and then goes all tired again.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 15:06 »
i'm giving sandra water by syringe every couple of hours - i got a feeding syringe from Pets at Home (the dog section, actually!!)
it means that i know that she's getting water.

i hope you don't find it as hard to syringe the stuff (baytril) into her mouth as i do.
i put her on a high serface and tuck her under my arm - then with the other hand i try to open her beak.
it takes forever to get her to do it, but eventually she gives up! then push down the plunger and let her go!

Hawkins

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 16:30 »
Oh Has been holding her while i syringe her and so far she is quite good.

Thanks for the tips, will se ehow she gets on.

Hawkins

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 16:49 »
Does anyone know if I make up a weak solution of layers mash and water, do you think she will be okay to syringe this down her neck just a couple of times a day.

I dont want to stress her out but she has been grat with her antibiotics.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 19:24 »
Hi, have you tried sugar or glucose in the water? I have even resorted to maple syrup! It just gives them enough energy to get going again if they are going to. I drip it from a syringe onto their beak and they tend to lick at it. I think ex-bats are used to these trickle drinkers a bit like hamster bottles. Hope there is some improvement, Nic.

Hawkins

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 20:10 »
good tip nick thanks, I had to work toady 12 hour shifts but dad popped in 3 times to check on her and offer her tasty bits. I must say I think she looks a bit more perky today. She has laid another 2 lashed about 1p size each.

She has been out on the grass tonight and was tucking in quite well even ate a massive worm.

I have a little hope and I have named her Delilah.

Fingers crossed everyone.

xx
Help Poorly Chicken

Started by Nick on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 10:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by dink on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 20:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly chicken

Started by janetsgirls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:51
by janetsgirls
xx
poorly chicken

Started by beamer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 18:37
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.