It used to be so simple.

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

It used to be so simple.
« on: May 26, 2020, 14:33 »
My M&S credit card is the only one I use and have always paid it in full via my on-line account which I'm struggling to access. For security reasons and as I don't have an app, I was sent a card that looked like a small calculator. Having got it registered, I tried to follow the rather vague instructions but don't know why the buttons for the numbers 1 and 3 have a green-squared outline (why?) and haven't a clue what the pink one is supposed to do.

I entered my pin number for my card but didn't realise I had to generate a 6 digit number. Er, from where?
After talking on the phone to a couple of people and also via their chat line I am no wiser. 

Does anyone else feel the same as me if you have no savvy kids to sort you out?  :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grinling

Re: It used to be so simple.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 21:51 »
you need to be logged into your m&s account at the same time

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 06:46 »
Hello.
I dont know M&S security device but I have had HSBC one and my own office one. This device makes your account more secure.
The login process goes like this.
On the craptop  :D you fill in your bank details in m&s login page and then it will ask for password and secure code.
You fill the password and then in the security device you should press the power button and put in your pin. Normally this is 4 digit pin not the card pin. This is the pin you set for the security device during registration.
After you put in the pin you either press the power button again or a green button available or it generates secure code immediately depending on the security device make.
You have 30 seconds (again this is normal time) to type in the code into the craptop bank access page.
And voila you are in.

App does the same and it is more easier than the security device. I for one held hsbc security device for very long and now i work more with IT security and found that app far better than craptop connection (pls dont quote me  :lol:)

If you are paying someone else through bank transfer there will be a separate procedure in the security device to generate a code while transferring the money. I dont know if M&s has it but it is mandatory with new banking rules (already mandatory or will be very soon)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:55 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:36 »
you need to be logged into your m&s account at the same time
That's what I'm trying to do but I can't access it without using the aforementioned pin. Having found out it's not my card pin number I have to enter as it needs to be a 6 digit one I was told to enter a 6 digit number of my own making. Yeah right!  :wacko: I rang them up yesterday to get a new digi-card because mine gets as far as 5 digits then shuts off.  >:(.

I'm all in favour of good security on-line, but the instructions (or the destructions as I often call them) need to be far more clear for an OAP.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 13:44 »
I have online banking with HSBC, and the security device that goes with it.

Seems to work OK, although the battery that powers it isn't replaceable, and when it conks you need a new device (not easy when even a city the size of Sheffield is down to 3 bank branches. ::))

Biggest problem I had was when setting up a new payee online, as Prakash has described.
Unfortunately, the instructions didn't display properly on either my Windows PC or Android tablet, so I had to work out how to complete the process by trial and error (very sloppy work by HSBC, although it may have been fixed by now.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 15:05 »
I do online banking all the time now, after a few nervous key-strokes, it become second nature now, and |I don't have to drive over to Cranbook to do anything.

All my big bills are online, and the few others are popped into accounts, so I can transfer dosh for receipt within two hours.

Saves a bunch of petrol, nerves with the nerds parking too close, buying that extra 'thing' at the supermarket, and lets me have a statement on demand, which I download and fiddle about with to my heart's content!

I then copy and paste the info to a real plonker of a spreadsheet which I designed, and from there, I can see exactly what's going on at any time!

I blame Amazon, as they tried twice to fiddle a 'prime account', and from then on I was determined to beat them at their own game Same with the electricity companies, as they want more dosh per month, but they ain't getting it...

Clever little tinker ain't I...

;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 17:06 »
I've been on-line banking for many years. All my bills are paid monthly through the bank, and most of my shopping is now also online, the few payments that I choose to make like birthdays and suchlike for the Gkids are also set up as transfers to their accounts.
Anything out of the ordinary or above a certain amount (I think it's about £120) the bank sends me a text with  a code number to enter as authorisation for the transaction and then jobs a good'un :)

I also have everything set up in OpenOffice, so I can see what's what as I go along..... and panic if the bank disagrees  :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 17:07 by mumofstig »

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 18:44 »
I think the step you are missing here is to link the security device to your bank account. Again from experience from hsbc we have to call a specific number to link card through phone and while doing that they instruct a specific instruction to follow which will have the step to set the pin as well.
Good luck with your next digi device. Its a painti start but we all have to get used to it due to the fraudsters all around stealing hard earned money.

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 18:50 »
I just read the instructions for M&S PASS. you have to do it online to link it. unfortunately. blooming useless.
C472FDB6-42D3-4CBB-9B25-AF30A77E0F1E.png

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:12 »
Thank you for that Prakash. There's me thinking too much imbibing has reduced my brain cells so I can't sort it out by myself. I'm getting a new one sent in the post so hope that works.  8)

xx
Why can't things be simple for once.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2023, 21:10
by JayG
xx
A simple question...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2023, 20:25
by snowdrops
xx
A simple project for a hot day.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2021, 15:11
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Simple Upgrade for Sky Receiver?

Started by coldandwindy on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 13, 2024, 15:05
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 51 queries.