Ever known a chicken kill a magpie? My old brave girl did!

• 4 Replies

HENHOUSER

Hi,
I just wanted to share something that happened a few weeks ago. I had been having trouble with a magpie visiting the chickens feeding station for a couple of weeks.. I didnt know what to do as catching the thing would prove difficult as it always flew away as it heard me approaching... My girls would be together in a corner watching it take their food. I could tell they were not impressed.
Then one morning as i approached the run to feed them i heard the repetitive cries of a bird and thinking it was one of my chickens i rushed to the scene.
Well I couldnt believe what i saw.. My old girl an ex bat of about 4 yrs old, had the magpie on its back and was holding it there with her feet while she pecked continuously at its face
Each peck produced a cry from the magpie which was getting weaker and weaker until it stopped. I had grabber a spade to finish it off but she had done that....
So i removed the bird and she stood there looking 6 inches taller and so proud of herself!
My other two young birds not ex bats, were looking on from a distance in sheer admiration
The knew their place!
Has Anyone else had anything similar happen?
Love to know!

8doubles

Re: Ever known a chicken kill a magpie? My old brave girl did!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 15:11 »
Hi and welcome Henhouser.
Never heard of a hen tackling a magpie before but animals tend to know who has previous for eating their young and act accordingly.
If only more hens were like yours !

Nature, red in tooth and claw (and beak).

I did once see normally sedate rooks pecking a white dove to death !

HENHOUSER

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 15:36 »

Hi and Thanks Redoubles for the welcome. You know this old girl was such a state when I first got her. She was so scrawny hardly had any feathers and was the smallest of the 4 ex bats I got at the time. she outlived them. Took 2 years for her to regain her feathers,
Hasnt laid an egg since last March but is a real character!
I didnt think she would ever accept the newbies. Took her about 6 weeks, she pecked at them swore at them but now I watch and see her running to join them whereever they forage. maybe she will last another winter, we will see!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 17:47 »
Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to the site.   :D  Good to hear of a hen getting the upper hand with a thieving magpie.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 19:24 »
Ex batts are always pretty fearless!! Then again, they've been through hell and back, poor things. Respect to the hen and a round of applause 👏

xx
Chicken versus magpie

Started by Goldfinger on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 13:51
by Jo57
xx
We're not that brave Mum !

Started by ali2 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 10:05
by joyfull
xx
I've been very, very brave today . . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 16:53
by evie2
xx
My brave boys.....NOT!

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 15:07
by madcat

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.