What should I grow together with legumes?

• 15 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« on: December 20, 2008, 19:54 »
I intend to follow a 4 year rotation on my new allotment but my family are not that keen on beans or peas, so, I'll only grow a few beans and peas (because I like them) but I'm wondering what other crops I can use to fill up the legumes bed?

penance

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 21:13 »
Try spinach, leeks, onions etc.

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 22:25 »
not a veg, but how about sweetpeas  8)  lovely as scented cut flowers and also encourages the bees to come to the garden (we need to look after our little garden friends where numbers are dropping alarmingly)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:03 »
How about field beans (or the cheapest broad beans you can find if you can't get field beans) as green manure.
Being legumes they will fix nitrogen in the bed as well as providing green material for the compost heap. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 13:22 »
Thanks very much, all suggestions appreciated.

andyandyjohnson

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 14:01 »
You could grow Borlotti beans for drying or freezing. They are great in soups and stews. They look great in the garden too.
Thanks

Andy

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 16:27 »
out4nowt,
Those members of your family who claim not to like beans and peas will probably wake up to reality when you bring home the results from your new allotment.

I have to strive to grow more of them (and a number of other veg types) to feed all those who'd never tasted 'proper' veg before.
All of a sudden they can't get enough and, even more amusing, is when I hear them telling friends how wonderful 'proper' home-grown veg is and how little cooking it actually needs "or else it'll lose it's flavour . . . . . etc"  :lol:
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

paintedlady

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 17:15 »
Quote from: "WirralWally"
out4nowt,
Those members of your family who claim not to like beans and peas will probably wake up to reality when you bring home the results from your new allotment

You are so right WirralWally - forget the cooking, lovely sweet peas eaten straight out of the pods are 8)   I can't believe anyone can say they don't like peas!

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 19:25 »
I've just shown your replies to my wife and she laughed  :roll:
I think you're right, mine will be so delicious, she'll love them  :roll:

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "paintedlady"
Quote from: "WirralWally"
out4nowt,
Those members of your family who claim not to like beans and peas will probably wake up to reality when you bring home the results from your new allotment

You are so right WirralWally - forget the cooking, lovely sweet peas eaten straight out of the pods are 8)   I can't believe anyone can say they don't like peas!

dont eat sweetpeas they are poisonous   Sorry to be daft but the reference to growing edible peas and sweetpeas could be misleading :?
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 20:42 »
Grow a few mangetout, they are lovely picked fresh and steamed (thats if they make it home) :lol:

paintedlady

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "sawnee"

dont eat sweetpeas they are poisonous   Sorry to be daft but the reference to growing edible peas and sweetpeas could be misleading :?

:shock:   never occurred to me when I wrote about the peas being lovely & sweet, but after suggesting sweetpeas on the same thread as well ... I can see how that can be easily misunderstood.  Well spotted sawnee  :D

Sweetpeas for flowers only & seeds are poisonous!  Peas for eating are lovely & sweet straight from the pod  :wink:

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09 »
Your lotty grown veg will be a revalation to you. Nothing like shop bought but only if you pick them and cook and eat them at their prime.  Pick them only as you need them, don't let them sit about!  I'm a stickler for this and never cut anything til I need it, especially sweetcorn which needs to be picked, cooked and eaten immediately  :D

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Your lotty grown veg will be a revalation to you. Nothing like shop bought but only if you pick them and cook and eat them at their prime.  Pick them only as you need them, don't let them sit about!  I'm a stickler for this and never cut anything til I need it, especially sweetcorn which needs to be picked, cooked and eaten immediately  :D

The exception to that is beans pick them as soon as they are ready or they will go tough/stringy/hard. If you don't want them all you can freeze them, or give them away. Leaving them on the plant exhausts the plant too.
My kids were objecting to my growing runner beans as the ones from the shops are only borderline ok and to cap that I was given some by a neighbour that had one or two really old ones that were like razor blades inside.
I picked all mine regularly, not letting them get bigger than about 1cm wide, and they were delicious, and the kids like them now. :)

alfman

• Experienced Member
Sweet peas
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:18 »
All good advice about eating them as soon as they're picked, especially peas. The sugar in peas turns to starch 1 hour after picking (as most of you no doubt know.) Thats why Birds Eye rushes to freeze them within the hour. I'm with you Painted Lady, there's nothing sweeter than peas straight from the pod. (my grandkids can testify.)
 Except maybe sweetcorn, where the 1 hour rule also applies.

xx
Unusual legumes

Started by Mrs Soup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 21:08
by gobs
xx
Legumes and \Crop Rotation

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 23:07
by shaun
xx
Two-year rotation legumes and brassicas

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 20:59
by viettaclark
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.