Oh my goodness. I may have my own plot!

• 7 Replies

Ygerna

« on: November 04, 2008, 19:59 »
Well, its been a few weeks since I last posted, three children, a new kitten and the school run have severely curtailed my computer time. But wanted to share my exciting news :D I had a call from 'The Allotment Man' this evening, he has a half plot available, would I like to go and look at it?
So I am off to take a peep on Friday :D Barring something drastic, such as it being covered in knotweed I would like to take it.
Anything I should ask, or look out for?

On a flip side my other half seemed rather negative about it when I told him :( Any idea how I can convince him?

Janeymiddlewife

Re: Oh my goodness. I may have my own plot!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 20:32 »
Quote from: "Ygerna"
But wanted to share my exciting news :D I had a call from 'The Allotment Man' this evening, he has a half plot available, would I like to go and look at it?

On a flip side my other half seemed rather negative about it when I told him :( Any idea how I can convince him?

He sounds a bit like my hubby :lol:  Mine doesn't think I'll have enough time/energy etc, etc
He could be right - but for £15 what have i got to lose? Try to work out with him when you can go to the plot - he may be afraid you'll dump the kids/kittens on him and he'll become an allotment widower! My way of looking at it is he goes to rugby all day Sunday, so he owes me saturday mornings at least. I can also go up some mornings, or for a couple of hours after school in the spring & summer.
Good luck - I'm off to view my 2nd "new" plot tomorrow after a horrendous mix up by the council, meaning i've been kicked off the plot i've spent a month on - but I am getting a full plot in return!
Good luck

gimli

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 20:40 »
:D great news
i worked it out with my hubby
i go to the allotment
three morns a week for a couple of hours and on sunday morning.
and he gets to go to his darts and gym.
seems fair.
he might just be worried your overstretchig yourself or the cost
gimli

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 20:52 »
Once the OHs taste real produce from your lotties, their tune will change.
As for what to look for, ideally you'd want some sort of water available either nearby or at intervals through the plot. If there's piles of trash on your plot, I'd insist the council/whatever remove it first as it should never have been left in the first place (unless they absolutely refuse and you're absolutely desperate). As for weeds, few people get off with a weed-free plot so be prepared to put in some serious grunt work.
As for knot-weed I believe it's a reportable nuisance weed so don't take that plot. And marestail can be more of a night-mare.

garddwr

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 21:47 »
congartulations, can you post some pics?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 22:13 »
Usual things to look for:

water
access
parking
shed possible?
what is already growing / permanently there
how much sun does it get
do you feel safe there
what help would you get clearing it if it's a right tip
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 22:15 »
Agreed with Trillium, once OH tastes those veggies he'll want in
My OH had no interest in anything like this till I met him, now hes a great help
And Congrats!!
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 22:16 »
Yay You!  

don't let your unenthusiastic hubby dampen your spirit;  I got my lottie 2 years ago and have all but forgotten my hubby!!!  Mind you, he's since discovered Eve Online, so I wouldn't have seen much of him anyways!

If you truely want to make a go of it you'll do it with or without him;  I've got 2 plots running at once and with a full time job, 2 kids and an allotment association to run so if I can do it ( and I'm not the most motivated or energetic of folks) then anyone can!

congrats and welcome :D

xx
oh my goodness!!

Started by lisa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2006, 20:28
by noshed
xx
It's raining - thank goodness!

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 08:35
by barbarella
xx
thank goodness my sis has just got her own allotment

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 13:35
by snowdrops
xx
Thank goodness for long john's

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 19:25
by gobs

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 38 queries.