hen unable to put weight on foot *UPDATE*

• 7 Replies

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
hen unable to put weight on foot *UPDATE*
« on: July 09, 2011, 20:26 »
Hi all,
I am after some advice please.  My girl is unable to put any weight at all on her left leg.  One of her toes looks very swollen on the 'knuckle', but there doesn't seem to be a puncture wound or anything.  The foot does also seem to be warmer than the other foot. She is only able to move by hopping on herb good leg.  Do you think it is broken an d if so, what should I do?  I am feeling anxious about this as she is my favourite.
Any help or advice very welcome.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:38 by Tigerwren »

pammie

Re: hen unable to put weight on foot
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 22:11 »
Hi Tigerwren.  I have had one of my chickens with a swollen toe for ages.  I took her to a vet who said there was a small abrasion and it had become infected so she was put on antibiotics. She said it was bumble foot. It was very hot too.  It did not clear it up and she is now on another lot.  It is getting better, thank goodness.  Your chook could have something in her toe that you cannot see or maybe she has twisted it.  If it does not get better soon it is best to try and find a vet to check her over. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 22:24 »
If you type "bumble foot" in the box in top right hand corner of the page you will find all kinds of information abut it and possibly some pics too  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:34 »
Hi,
thank you very much for your help and advice.  I will let you know how she gets on.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:39 »
Good luck with your hen  :)

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: hen unable to put weight on foot *UPDATE*
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:45 »
Hi all,
sorry not been on to update you about Ethel, I've been ill too and had an operation.  Anyway, two courses of antibiotics (Baytril and Metacam) later and we are on the slippery slope.   Although she is now getting around happily, she is still not good.  Her comb has turned very pale (overnight) so I took her to the vet yesterday and he said she was very unwell (I knew that myself).  He gave her an injection with more antibi's and suggested that she has some sort of bone or arthritic infection and perhaps even Avian TB.  Her urates are runny and green with some white too. He doesn't think she will make it, but didn't want to put her down as she still has some quality of life and isn't in pain.  I feel so sad.  Her eyes are still bright and she is still eating and drinking.  Has anyone ever experienced Avian TB?  Vet said it isn't contagious to my other girls and that it isn't a problem for my children to be around her.  WHat do you think?
Thanks for all the great help and advice. :(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:46 by Tigerwren »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:56 »
if she is not laying her comb will be pale and small. What makes your vet think it is avian tb? Does he/she think the limp is related to that? Has she any nodule type growths around her eyes, wing joints, on her legs, side of her face or base of her beak?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:05 »
Hi Joyful,
no she doesn't have any nodules at all.  SHe does have a soft, hot swelling at the joint of her 'elbow' at the top of her leg.  I don't know why he said that.  Do you think that she might be ok then if her comb is quite yellowy pale and it is not necessarily the beginning of the end?

xx
Update on the cut foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 10:17
by joyfull
xx
Chick unable to stand

Started by ferretkeeper on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 18:08
by evie2
xx
chicken unable to stand or walk

Started by iowrooster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 09:12
by Foxy
question
Dirty bottom & unable to catch to clean!

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:37
by emmaellis

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 29 queries.