Blueberry help

• 18 Replies

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
Blueberry help
« on: April 22, 2011, 22:54 »
I have a Blueberry Bush that for 10 years as been in a pot on my patio, I am considering planting it out on the allotment. Unfortunatley I have the wrong soil so I intend to dig a large hole and line it with poly. My question is can I mix my soil with eracacious (sorry for any incorrect spelling) or would I get better results using straight eracacious compost?
Yer Tiz!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Blueberry help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 23:14 »
I know that blueberries like it damp around their roots but you will need to ensure that they still have sufficient drainage - lining with polythene causes me some concern.

I'm not sure about the compost question but generally, trying to change the pH of soil to that degree is often not successful. 

Is there any reason why you can't topdress the soil in the existing pot and/or pot the plant up into a bigger pot?  If the plant has been happily producing fruit in its current location for 10 years then it's quite a risk to change this.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 23:17 »
How about building a small raised bed and filling it with ericacous compost or mix? (I can't be bothered to look it the spelling up either  ;) )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 00:43 by penninehillbilly »

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 16:33 »

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:29 »
I know that blueberries like it damp around their roots but you will need to ensure that they still have sufficient drainage - lining with polythene causes me some concern.

I'm not sure about the compost question but generally, trying to change the pH of soil to that degree is often not successful. 

Is there any reason why you can't topdress the soil in the existing pot and/or pot the plant up into a bigger pot?  If the plant has been happily producing fruit in its current location for 10 years then it's quite a risk to change this.

Its never really been that successful to be honest,also the terracotta pot its planted in didn't fair to well over this winter and it probably could do with repotting to be honest. It would probably be better cared for on the plot the stuff at home tends to get walked past (flowers no pay back the wifes bag).
But thankyou all for you input

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 15:50 »
Straight ericaceous soil is the best as blueberries really do prefer acidic soil that other plants can't survive in. In pots they also need daily watering with rainwater, not tap water which will lessen the pH. And, potted blueberries need time release fertilizer.

You say you have A blueberry. In order to get fruit you need 2 different varieties as they're not self pollinating.

Here's a good video on pot sizes:

Yw2g-ETb2mA

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 00:12 »
I found two extra bluberry(well, i guess it's bluberry) plants in my place. They are difinately on the wrong place and i want to transplant them. Not really after fertilizer from the shop, but have plenty of water from mountain river(which is almost pure rain water), lots of top soil from the forest and some spots with clayish soil. Will be transplantation successfull? And when is proper time?
Thanks in advance

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 00:55 »
Blueberries can be transplanted in late fall after they go dormant. The roots are somewhat shallow but you still need to take some soil in a rootball with them. Also water the blueberry well the day before.

Before you move them, prep your new planting holes with lots of rotted manure, compost, pine needles if you have them (for acidity), and the forest soil you mention. Mix well, water the new holes well.  Gently firm in soil as you fill the new holes and keep the soil at the same level as the original planting.  The blueberries won't know they've been moved.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:13 »
Trillium, thank you for fast reply.
late autumn - check
manure - check, ah, cows or horses?
compost - check
pine needles - unfortunately i don't have pines, all they died few years ago after some insects attcked them  :( but i have plenty sugi(sort of cedar) off-cuts after cleaning perimeter. Also i found a good spot for them - under power line, where i can not plant any trees and it's not good enough for vegetables. Soil there contain lots of decomposition.
Only the thing is - that spot under direct sun light before noon, then it's in the average shadow of neiboroughs forest. It's well maintenaned hinoki(japanese cypress) trees with small amount brunches on top. Should be ok,  at some stage on that spot was planted tea, but it's almost degraded.

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:51 »
i planted my two bushes at one side of a raised bed and used errasious compost for just that section and as its raised its been easier to keep it from mixing with the rest of the 5'x10' bed.
my blueberries look very happy in there  ::)

savbo

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 14:52 »
2 of my 6 blueberries appear to have died, I transplanted them a few weeks ago which I know was a bit late but they looked fine and even had berries on...then come back from hol and they're completely brown. The other 4 look thriving... :(

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 14:59 »
Type of manure doesn't really matter. I use chicken because I get lots free, and it's also more acidic, so if you can get chicken manure, great. If not, use what you can get. Just needs to be older (never fresh).

Too bad about the pines, their needles are quite acidic and great for blueberries. But, if you can get hold of sulphur powder, sprinkle that liberally around the soil and scratch it in. I add some every spring to keep the pH low. If your soil is quite depleted from the old tea plants, then you'll want to work it a bit before planting your blueberries. They don't need super rich soil, but you get what you give with them.

And blueberries actually like some shade. In the wild you rarely find them in the open sun.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37 »
Trillium, that sounds good  :D Chicken manure is cheapest(not free, because it's packed in 15kg bags, but easy to carry around and store) i can get and in big amounts - from chicken farm in the neiboroghood village, instead of pine needles i will use cedar(well let's call sugi so) needles and small brunches - they decomposing quite fast and i think release some acids. No worries about old tea plants - there was just few of them and most space covered with sugi branches - soil looks ok. And also happy to hear about shade. So... will prepare that spot(about 100-150sq m may be little bit more) by late autumn.

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 10:10 »
Hi All.

Just a quick update, been around 12 weeks since I transplanted my Blueberry and it as to be said it is looking very happy and is smothered with fruit.

Thanks for your help

Stu :)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:00 »
One more question - is it possible to multiply blueberry plants same as grape? Or there is another way?

Thanks in advance

clip
my blueberry

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2023, 18:11
by pepsi100
xx
Blueberry Bed

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2019, 21:47
by Rocinante
xx
Re-pot blueberry?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 15:11
by Auntiemogs
xx
Blueberry

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 10:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 29 queries.