Shredded paper for nestboxes?

• 12 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Shredded paper for nestboxes?
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:55 »
Hi - in the interest of recycling, can I use shredded paper in my nestboxes? It would be a mixture of normal A4 paper, possibly newspaper, junk mail etc - and my shredder is one of the old fashioned ones that just produces long strands  :)
Thanks.

indigo

Re: Shredded paper for nestboxes?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:12 »
Hi
I always used to use shredded paper (the long stuff) till my supply ran out.  I have now bought a cross shredder and when i get round to shredding some, i will use that again in the nest box.  But i never had any newspaper in mine.  I never had a problem at all.  Although, i expect some wont agree with me as they may have had problems with it.  But some sites say ok - others dont recommend it.  But as i said, i never had a problem and would use again.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34 »
I do a mix of shredded paper (not newspaper) and barley straw. Absolutely perfect and composts nicely afterwards!

geordiechick

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:58 »
We've only had 3 little ex-batts for 3 months but have not used straw at all.  Ours get shredded yellow pages and old telephone directories. 

Not sure what we'll do when that supply runs out.  I've got an old fashioned long shredder.  I've tried some of the cross shredded paper but that was just too messy as the pieces were too small.

They have seemed more than happy with this bedding - and it's cheap (free) and composts.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:55 »
Thanks all, sounds good. Newspaper in the recycling bin then, and the rest in the hen house!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 00:21 »
Some people say shredded paper isn't absorbant enough to use for bedding, so give it a try and see how it works for you.  Your chickens shouldn't be pooing in their nest boxes anyway so hopefully it won't be a problem.  You can always do as viettaclark does and mix the newspaper with another material.

Suze_w

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 00:58 »
Hi

I tried shredded paper salvaged from the shredder at work. Twas terrible! Wasn't absorbent and ended up everywhere, making the place look very untidy. I think the problem was the paper was too good quality! Maybe flimsier paper would be ok?

Suze

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58 »
To actually shred telephone directories or in fact any paper for the sole purpose of using in a nestbox must be a very dubious practise indeed from a green perspective.  Shredders don't work on fresh air and there's far greener and more appropriate waste materials that can be used that don't need special processing.

This sounds like the collecting of old Christmas trees for shredding as a green practise until someone calculated the environmental cost of doing it.
HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:48 »
I can verify that old Christmas trees make excellent coop litter.  Bearing in mind that here Christmas is in mid summer so the pine needles become suitably dry in a very short time.  Apparently in Australia discarded Christmas trees are a major fire risk!  :blink:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 13:25 »
The lady at one of the agricultural suppliers where I buy my chicken stuff says that she uses all the confidential waste from the business which is shredded when no longer required.

I am currently using wood shavings direct from my wood-working neighbour and that has worked fine: the girls pay him in eggs!

If I had a good source of shredded paper (probably not cross-cut as the bits would be everywhere), I'd use it - possibly mixed with wood shavings or hemcore-type bedding to make the pennies go a bit further: try it and see!

Our domestic confidentiaL waste is soaked with water then put on the compst heap - you couldn't read it and you really wouldn't want to try!

I'm all for anything like this that stretches the budget a little further because it tends to be quite green as well as economical.
ManicMum

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 13:28 »
PS - forgot to put this on before clicking to post:

If the bedding is free/cheap, you're more likely to change it often so reducing the risk of harbouring red mite.  If it's cost you loads, it is tempting to think it'll do another couple of days or another week.....

patsyg323

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:08 »
Hi  I have 2 hybrids which produce an amazing amoutn of pooh every night and soetimes it is a bit wet too.  I recycle our old Sunday Times  newspapers (I like to think our chooks are well read) under the perches with folded long pages under the perch they use.  This is then easily and quickly rolled up and put on the compost every morning before I go to work.  Fresh folded newspaper is then put back in.  I use shredded paper out of our A4 shredder in their nest box with a folded sheet of newspaper underneath.  When it gets slightly mucky with muddy feet then it is easily removed to the compost and refilled.

Anything that is quick and easy to do gets done!  Also there is no extra cost on bedding etc.   Enjoy your girls

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 14:53 »
Thanks patsyg323, good tip. My girls won't be as well read as yours, but then I guess any intellect is better than none  ;)

Girls arriving Friday - weh hey.....

xx
Shredded paper

Started by Louise on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 23:42
by Fat Hen
xx
Shredded paper

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 18:53
by peggyprice
xx
can i use shredded paper?

Started by monkeyboysee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 18:06
by Spadefighter
xx
Bedding... Shredded paper..,

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 14:06
by steelman

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 32 queries.