New to all this and really need advice.

• 27 Replies

greeneyesgreedy

New to all this and really need advice.
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:42 »
  :wacko:
Dear All.  Very new to the forum.
Have read a lot of advice here, but am still woefully confused to the point of giving up on the chook-dream. However, my children are dying to have their chooks, and I've been promising ever since we moved into our new home with a big garden.

Can anyone help with the below:
1. Was going to buy the eglu cube with 3m run for 4 birds. Is this enough room?
2. Base for coop and run...whats the best /simplest option??

Many Thanks,

3 boys..1 husband...4 hens coming on Sunday!!!

Flowerpower136

Re: New to all this and really need advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:52 »
If you are thinking of an Eglu, go on one of the Omlete courses.  Can find one near to you via their web page.
I didn't opt for one of their coops, but as a first timer, found the course invaluable.

I visited as many hen keepers as I could find, and had a look at their set ups and talked to them about their experience.  Learnt a lot, and avoided a lot of mistakes.

3m for 4 birds is a bit too small I think unless they can free range in the garden?

In my wooden coop I use wood shavings on the floor to absorb poo.  In nest boxes, I use straw, nice and cosy.  On pen floor I've used soft wood chips.

Definately don't give up on the idea.  I've had my 8 ex batts just 8 weeks, and am totally hooked.  They are just brilliant.

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:00 »
Thanks flowerpower... I have 2 friends with hens, better get talking.. The next omlet course isn't for a while..however, maybe I should wait and see to avoid mistakes!!
Many Thanks. ::)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 13:10 »
Keep reading the posts on this site and you will pick up a lot of knowledge, you'll also learn from other's mistakes before you make the same ones, wish I'd found this site before I got started. :D

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 21:03 »
spot on there MD  i sometimes wish i had read up first but silly me jumped right in the deep end with both feet an got 14 birds  :lol: :lol: but i dont regret it . it is recommended 1 sq metre per bird so your would be pushing it really , i would suggest that you build a bigger run your self if thats at all poss it may take time but it will be worth it in the end take for example if your decide on a small run and for some reason your not around for a day to let them free range with the bigger run they can be happier for when your out for a day and then you wont worry about them being cooped up all day .

GEG welcome to the site you will learn so much from being on here and dont forget to ask if your ever stuck theres always someone around .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 21:10 »
Where are you? There may well be one of us nearby who can give you some tips and let you look round our set up (not me unless you want talking into ducks!). Don't give up, poultry are amazing to keep (ducks are obviously the best though but everyone has to start somewhere!).
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 21:23 »
Inside the coop we have a tarpaulin across the whole wooden floor. Over this in the area under the perches is a removeable raised painted ply sheet. This means the poo can be scraped off every day and the board removed and washed every week. There is no need for anything over the rest of the floor as it doesn't get dirty. Shavings in the nesting box changed every 10 days (ish). Our 7 birds are (very) free range and the coop is 2.5m by 1.5m. The seem happy. HTH

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47 »
Dont give up on the chicken dream. I know how daunting it can look. There is loads of really sound advice on here and always someone to help. We started with 4 pol pullets about 18 months ago we now have 9 ladies a very fiesty cockerel and are soon to have 12 ex batts. It is truly adictive great fun and very rewarding...even with the prsepect of the occasional mite out break!
Good luck with it...I bet you cant ask as many dumb questions as me :lol: :tongue2:
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:03 »
No, absolutely do not give up on the chicken dream.  I got my four ex-batts at the beginning of this month and a week or so in was beginning to get a little stressed about whether what I was doing was right, whether I was feeding them the right things, whether I was using all the right products...  Honestly, I was driving myself dilly.

But I found this forum (thanks everyone!) and, although I am still fiddling around with some issues (as grumpydad will confirm :tongue2:), I have come to the conclusion that, like any pet, as long as the girls have fresh water, the right food, a clean bed, shelter and lots of tlc, everything else will fall into place as you go along.  

Yes, of course you must do some research before taking on any animal but I think you can do too much and get bogged down in a level of detail that will make your head spin.  Everyone on here as a slightly different way of doing things and no one person has all the answers, except maybe Grannie Annie :D, so I'm pretty sure there is not one "set in stone" way that everything has to be, just variations on a theme.

Get your house and run set up, buy your chickens and GO FOR IT!  You won't regret it.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 13:46 »
Oh, and in terms of the base for the coop and run.  My run is on what was grass but is slowly disappearing - I intend to follow the advice sought on here and put down hardwood chips with softwood chips on top (from B&Q).

In my coop, I have newspaper on the floor of the house and nestbox, with Cozy Coop on top, with lots more CC in the box than on the floor.  I know there are many different things you can put down on the floor and in the nestbox of the house but I have only used Cozy Coop and it works really well for me...

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 16:57 »
 ::) Dear all.
Have just read all your warm, funny, and helpful replies.
Latest Update!!! I did a lot of trawling through the forums, and finally decided to go for it!! Have ordered the coop and run from what seems to be a nice place in Dorset..Flyte O Fancy, which is coming on Friday!!
Then I went to my nearest poultry farm, Merrydale in Leics, and got all the gear!! The girls are due to be picked up on Sunday!!!!
Yipee. Can't wait.
Still have a lot to learn, but feel able to do it now thanks to all the support and suggestions available here.
So. Thanks again..will post againon Monday to let you know how the girls slept!!!!
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :) :) :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 17:00 »
And don't forget to post photos of your girls - it's the law on here you know  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 17:04 »
ok will try, as long as its easy!! :D

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 17:21 »
yaay, well done for taking the plunge :D. It will all fall into place and they will sort themselves out most of the time.
Good luck and well done for taking the bull by the horns...so to speak ???

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 17:48 »
yaay, well done for taking the plunge :D. It will all fall into place and they will sort themselves out most of the time.
Good luck and well done for taking the bull by the horns...so to speak ???

BULL??? I thought she was getting chickens lol

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
some advice please

Started by John and Joy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 15:47
by John and Joy
xx
Run advice please

Started by sessyplum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 21:20
by sessyplum
xx
Advice on a very Shy hen Please

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 13:20
by Beano

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.