rhubarb

• 11 Replies

chrissie B

rhubarb
« on: April 09, 2016, 22:13 »
Had our first rhubarb pud the other day , hubby wanted crumble so thats what he got but the crumble was different it was like a flap jack thought it might have been heavy but was very nice .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:23 »
That sounds very tasty Chrissie😊
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 13:41 »
It was and wasent soggy on the botton like crumble geos at times , got the recipe from my garden expert cook book .
chrissie b

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 18:03 »
Been on stewed rhubarb as part of breakfast for a week now. Will stop picking it about August and then the late cropping variety that I planted two years ago will kick in until October/November

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 23:01 »
Any reason for rhubarb breakfast every day thats alot of rhubarb i just like it now and again ive got jam and chutney .
chrissie b

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19 »
We always have stewed fruit as part of breakfast. I have it as a separate dish, wife likes it on cereal. It goes April to September rhubarb, October plums, November to March apples

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 00:00 »
Love my rhubarb.

I make a fantastic (if I say so myself!) rhubarb and custard ice cream (what you do to cope with a glut of milk and eggs) and rhubarb cordial gets me through a lot of the summer.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 21:24 »
I want to try making a rhubarb jelly this year so I can layer it with custard! Anyone been successful with rhubarb jelly? I have around 14 stalks destined for a crumble and stewing for breakfast tomorrow!

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:11 »
I just did the rhubarb ice cream with crumble for the top it is fab , i got the recipe from the free asda mag that they put out monthly .
chrissie b

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41 »
I want to try making a rhubarb jelly this year so I can layer it with custard! Anyone been successful with rhubarb jelly? I have around 14 stalks destined for a crumble and stewing for breakfast tomorrow!

Jelly with the cooking juices?  Yes it makes a nice jelly.  I stew it in the oven with a bit of orange juice, then use the hot juice and leaf gelatine.  If the colour is a bit murky, a bit of red grape juice really boosts the pinkness and just deepens the flavour  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 15:55 »

Jelly with the cooking juices?  Yes it makes a nice jelly.  I stew it in the oven with a bit of orange juice, then use the hot juice and leaf gelatine.  If the colour is a bit murky, a bit of red grape juice really boosts the pinkness and just deepens the flavour  :)

Perfect! That's what I was hoping for. Going to try and hunt out the gelatin this afternoon....

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 17:58 »
Rhubarb cordial, lovely with sparkling water, and gin/vodka......

Rhubarb ketchup nice with bangers, rhubarb sorbet early on when sweet together with rhubarb fool or mousse.

Back to alcohol, rhubarb vodka and rhubarb wine.

Rest in the freezer for crumbles etc.

xx
Rhubarb and custard ice cream

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 11:52
by Beetroot Queen
clip
Rhubarb and a nice clean pan

Started by mjg000 on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 10:38
by lettice

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.