Old secateurs...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Old secateurs...
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:01 »
I 'inherited' these chaps when we cleared out the family home, and they're still in regular use.

I can remember my mum cutting down a rambler by mistake with them, and they were always around the garden at some stage...

The spring is still perfectly balanced, and as far as I can remember, they've never been sharpened! The balance is great, and although they're quite heavy, they cut pretty well too.

Just before I posted this, I 'Gurgled' the type to see whether they were a popular make, and apart from a small pic on a board of old tools, I can't find them anywhere! There's no maker's name either, and I suspect they were made in a local forge, as they're definitely not  mass produced.

The one problem is that sometimes, you can catch a spare bit of hand in the handles, and that damn well hurts...
DSCN6639 (400 x 300).jpg
DSCN6638 (400 x 300).jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Old secateurs...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16 »
old tools are lovely, aren't they, especially when you're lucky enough to have them in working order  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:00 »
You're right Mum!

They've never had any rust on them either, which is astonishing, as they must have been left out in the rain a few times...!

wighty

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 21:06 »
I've painted my secateurs handles flourescent orange  as I do have the habit of abandoning them aroujnd the garden, think I will do the trowel and fork the same next year then I will (hopefully) be able to find them again!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 21:43 »
I've painted my secateurs handles flourescent orange  as I do have the habit of abandoning them aroujnd the garden, think I will do the trowel and fork the same next year then I will (hopefully) be able to find them again!

I am taking great care of my Felco secateurs, partly because they're great, but partly because they were a quite expensive Christmas present.

I was a bit less careful with a pair of Spear and Jackson secateurs which went missing a few years ago and turned up last week in the  bottom of one of my daleks.  :ohmy:

(They have not come though the experience unscathed; just hope they have added some valuable iron to the compost!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
New Secateurs

Started by alanb on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 10:03
by new_2_veg
xx
Felco Secateurs

Started by RichardA on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 13:09
by Agatha
xx
Quality secateurs

Started by Weedkillers on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2017, 15:57
by snowdrops
xx
Shine Hai Secateurs

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 22:27
by Rhys

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 40 queries.