large squishy crop but no smell???

• 7 Replies

hermon

« on: October 08, 2008, 08:45 »
I havn't been on here for months so forgive me if all i want is advice!
One of my hens has had a large fluidy crop in the morning which i have emptied out by making her sick the thing is it never smells which i thought sour crop does. she is drinking which is good and yesturday she ate any idea i have heard andrews salts and live yoghurt are good.

Vember

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54 »
Hi Hermon

You can use a flush with Epsom salts to treat sour crop ( 1 teaspoon of epsom salts in half cup of water, poured or squirted down the birds throat twice a day for 2/3 days or until recovery)

But I think if it were me I would go with the live yoguart mixed with feed if she's eating to begin with.
Has she any sore's in her mouth?

I can't find any info regarding a smell either :?

Sarah :)

hermon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:10 »
i havn't looked for soars wouldn't know what i was looking at to be honest i have some kefir which i s strong live bacteria homemade yoghurt i will try with that.  thank you Sarah :wink:

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38 »
If there were any sore's in the mouth they would be similar to a fungal types of infection that we could get ie thrush

Just found this sticky might be of some intrest to you :)

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

The bottom section is about crop problems :D

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 15:01 »
Hi hermon. We had a hen a few months ago that had an expanded, soft crop but, like yours, no smell.

I tried up-ending her and making her sick (didn't work), flushing (didn't work) but in the end, she just got better. We decided she must have got something stuck and it was causing a bit of a blockage.

She may just have a ball of something caught which will hopefully pass soon.

Keep us updated. :)

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 21:31 »
hi hermon, I agree, sounds like something could possibly be causing a blockage, although it does sound like sour crop which is caused by bacteria which is why you get the odour (basically fermenting bacteria)
However, if there is no odour could be a blockage which is stopping anything  including fluids moving through the crop. Might be worth a trip to the vet - or you could try treating as for impacted crop and see what happens. Does she have access to plenty of grit?
This may help you keep us posted!

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4345

hermon

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 20:15 »
well she has been fine since, i force feed her a small bit of yoghurt i guess nature did its bit and cleared whatever it was i now know how to make a hen vomit and the other day i luckily found another one trying to pass a rubbery egg shell as it wasn't hard she couldn't pass it so i pulled it out gently and then had to carefully push back her inside of her vent back in she is fine now i reckon if i wasn't in the run and saw her she would have been badly attacked. :(
anyone who knows about my change of life here in Wales its going really well were much happier than in surrey!! and buisness is doing well thank goodness!! :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 20:24 »
thats really good news! a little yoghurt would be a good source of calcuim too. Keep a close eye on that prolapse they have a habit of reoccurring -have you got plenty of oyster grit or perhaps limestone powder? Both good sources of calcium to help hens with the business of egg-laying. :D

xx
lethargic, large soft crop, no smell

Started by upert on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 19:51
by ANHBUC
xx
help with sour crop but no smell

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 07:39
by joyfull
xx
How bad does Mr fox smell?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 11:01
by maxyboo
xx
Smell and flies

Started by BGD on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 14:52
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 39 queries.