Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

grendel

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2016, 11:12 »
 I think the milk powder boosts the fat content and helps with a consistent rise and texture.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2016, 11:14 »
I have stopped using the milk powder and replaced it with an extra tablespoon of veg oil in my sandwich loaves.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2016, 12:09 »
Thanks for those replies, interesting.
I used to add it when I was making bread in the bread maker because it's in the recipe.

I don't use it now because I don't make in the machine, only mix in it.

I'll add some in the next mix to see what difference it makes.

I use olive oil, do you think vegetable oil is better or is it a taste thing?

Br

chrissie B

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2016, 15:55 »
I didnt put any powder in mine as i forgot to get it but they were very nice but im going to make them a little thinner next time as they rose quite well  even though i cut out to the correct size .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

grendel

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2016, 20:04 »
I am not partial to olive oil myself.

chrissie B

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2016, 09:07 »
Yes thats what ive been using in mine keeps it sorter .
chrissie b

lettice

« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49 »
I use Olivio in all my breads now. Its a good mix of vegetable oil and olive oil.
Have used pure olive oil in the past and you can taste its piquancy often, not good.
Know a lot of Americans who bake a lot and they use both peanut and canola oil for most of their breads.
Of course its only olive oil when making foccacia and sesame oil when making a sesame loaf.
The fat is the staple ingredient that keeps the bread longer, hence why a baguette (made with no fat) is off the next day.

From all the bread machine book bibles I've read over the years, there are a few reasons they recommend milk powder over milk;
1. Milk spoils quickly and especially true for anything timer controlled. If you ever had a teamaker years ago, the use of milk powder was a necessity. 
2. Some of the protein in milk effects gluten structure and it was always recommended to scald the milk first then allow to cool before adding to the recipe. Milk powder will have been made this way. But, modern pasteurisation reduces this affect now.
3. The use of milk produces a softer crust that browns quicker because of the sugar and butterfat present in milk. Thus works better this way for the bread machine made loaf.
4. Milk is said to create a softer loaf and a longer shelf life, but that would be because of the higher fat content.

Must admit I cannot remember the last time I used any milk in bread or bread machine recipe.

chrissie B

« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2016, 08:46 »
I dont use freash milk its long life as we only have a drip or 2 in our tea we were chucking more out than using , i once kept the crust off one of my loafe ans it was almost 3 weeks befor it went mouldy i was amazed , i will try some milk powder and see what the differance  is thanks for the info.
chrissie b

oldgrunge

« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2016, 20:57 »
I always use milk in my milk loaf! Wouldn't be the same without it..
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

chrissie B

« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2016, 15:37 »
Daughter did first loaf today looks realy good shes not seen it yet as she had to go mines in now it took alot longer to rise than hers ?same recipe bet i forgot something ha ha typical if hers is better i will never hear the end of it .
chrissie b

oldgrunge

« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2016, 19:29 »
Daughter did first loaf today looks realy good shes not seen it yet as she had to go mines in now it took alot longer to rise than hers ?same recipe bet i forgot something ha ha typical if hers is better i will never hear the end of it .
chrissie b
Perhaps the water your daughter used was a bit warmer. never mind, console yourself with the knowledge that a longer rise gives a better flavour bread.

chrissie B

« Reply #311 on: February 24, 2016, 22:47 »
I think it was because we did her loaf first , i told her to get some of the small ready  mixes to get the feel of making it for a bit of practice she did well and have to admit it was easier than when i tryed to teach her to knit .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2016, 09:51 »
Just been watching a morning program with gloria and it s talking bread and im wondering is my bread giving us enough vitamins ect,and should i be putting some in there ?.
Chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2016, 10:14 »
Didn't see the programme, but surely the ones the ones that should naturally be there, are there?
If you are using wholemeal they are still there, and white bread flour has vitamins added to it to replace the ones lost in milling.

Were talking about adding different ones?  :unsure:

grendel

« Reply #314 on: February 25, 2016, 12:12 »
if you add a tiny amount of vitamin c the bread will rise a lot more (and by tiny I mean 3mm on the end of a teaspoon).

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 50 queries.