Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

madcat

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24 »
It firms up as it cools usually. Very new bread is very soft.  Is the crust brown and firm, and did you bake it in a tin or open baked (like a cob loaf)?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

grendel

« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2016, 09:53 »
sounds perfect - just wait until it cools to cut it (you might notice even the supermarkets wont try cutting a loaf while it is still warm).
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: January 03, 2016, 10:48 »
When your leaving to rise for this length of time is it in or out of the fridge .
chrissie b

Out for sourdough, but somewhere just average temperature, not too warm.  I got some Lakeland vouchers for Christmas, so my baguette rack is on its way  8)  Soup party round at mine soon  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2016, 11:05 »
Soup party round at mine soon  :lol:

Just let me know when  :D

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2016, 13:53 »
Thanks, I made it yesterday & noticed it when I cut it in half to give some to Mum.
This morning it was the same, I couldn't really hold it to cut slices & trying to cut a normal slice was nigh on impossible, I resorted to cutting door stops/steps.

I use my bread maker to mix the ingredients, this initial mix, on a dough setting, takes 20 minutes. I normally go through this process twice then prove the mix. I knock it back & then kneed it by hand for a few turns.

Yesterday I only 'mixed' once (just a time issue). The whole dough programme on the bread maker takes 1 1/2 hours but I only ever do the initial mix in the machine, I like to have the machine do the kneading, it lets me get on with other things & I'm still able to shape the dough into rolls or whatever takes my fancy.

I've got to make another loaf later, I'll revert back to '2 mixes'

Br

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2016, 14:20 »
It could be under kneading then.  You should feel the dough change under your hands and start resisting your efforts to knead it.

If you have a little piece of spare dough, try this experiment.  Put a piece of dough before kneading and a piece after kneading into a bowl of water overnight.  Next day, wash the dough pieces in the water, like they were sponges  You will need to change the water several times.  The unkneaded piece will dissolve to almost nothing, but you should see the gluten left in the kneaded piece once the water goes almost clear.  Its very odd looking stuff   :lol: 

The person who taught me to make bread showed me this trick and it really did explain the changes kneading makes  :)

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2016, 18:28 »
Brilliant, thanks New shoot, I'll give that a try. Interesting stuff.

I'll take a small lump out after the first 20 mins and then another after the second mix to compare.

I do seem to remember seeing this done, maybe on a youtube video by a baker, it might have been Paul Hollywood?

Br

oldgrunge

« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2016, 20:30 »
It does sound like the dough was not kneaded enough, the gluten would not be developed enough. Also, how long do you bake it for?
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2016, 18:18 »
I do seem to remember seeing this done, maybe on a youtube video by a baker, it might have been Paul Hollywood?

That would make sense.  It was a chef neighbour, who had also worked in a bakery, who showed me.  Perhaps a bakery trick for training the newbies  :D

Gluten is weird stuff - like stringy chewing gum - but when you read 'knead to develop the gluten' or 'don't overwork as you don't want to develop the gluten' in recipes afterwards, it does click  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2016, 11:19 »
We use an electric  bread knife can get thick and quite thin if needed .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

chrissie B

« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2016, 18:18 »
Today i have to say i think ive made probably the nicest loaf of bread ive ever made im so happy .
chrissie b

oldgrunge

« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2016, 20:00 »
Today i have to say i think ive made probably the nicest loaf of bread ive ever made im so happy .
chrissie b
Don't keep us in suspense, what was it?

chrissie B

« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2016, 22:30 »
Nothing too out there i just did a seeded loaf using the recipe ive been trying wihth the 00 flour in it was nicly  risen crusty and soft so it wasent an exciting loaf as it goes but its a thing of beauty when it all comes together .
chrissie b

gtdevon

« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2016, 19:02 »
Hi, I ran across a 100plus-year-old bread recipe of pre-WW1, made for the French army.

http://joyoffieldrations.blogspot.co.uk/

So, I made some and not surprisingly the bread turned out well.Fresh it has a lovely flavour,soft texture and the next day makes wonderfull toast & dunking loaf for soups and mopping up stews.

Levain for pain ordinaire:                                       
366 g   flour                                                           
210 g   water                                       
1 tbsp*  instant dry yeast                         

* 15 ml

Have all ingredients at approximately 70°F/21°C.
We will make the levain, which is also known as a pre-ferment.
To create the levain, mix together the flour, yeast, and water. Knead until the biga is of a smooth consistency, with no dry spots.

Place the levain in a lightly oiled bowl or container, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours

******part two*********

Dough for pain ordinaire:             
710 g   flour                                               
476 g   water                                               
10 g       salt   

Mix the flour and salt together. Add the water and levain, and mix until smooth. The levain should be well incorporated, and there should be no dry spots on the dough.

Place the dough in a container and let rest until double in size, about 90 minutes.

Shape the dough into a flattened ball and place onto a board or in a banneton bowl  that has been lined with a heavily floured cloth.
Leave uncovered and let rise for about 45 minutes

Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/gas 5

Place the dough on a floured wooden oven peel or on a baking sheet that has been greased or lined with parchment paper.

nb* I placed parchment on a small chopping board, placed over the dough bowl and invert, then slide onto your
baking stone/sheet .

After loading the oven, reduce the heat to 325°F/165°C/gas 3.

bake for 60 minutes

As with most bread recipes you may have to tweak it a bit for yourself.
new-ww1-bread.jpg
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 19:08 by gtdevon »
I love my allotment,from my head, tomatoes

jaydig

« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2016, 09:31 »
Do any of you bakers out there have a tried and tested recipe for ciabatta?  I have used about four different recipes so far, and not one of them has worked. I know it has to be a very wet dough, but I always seem to end up with something that is so wet that it just oozes into a puddle instead of being vaguely ciabatta shaped.  I'm almost on the verge of giving up. 

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 54 queries.