Yolk colour

• 3 Replies

Brambles

Yolk colour
« on: September 09, 2008, 22:45 »
My new girl, a Black Rhode, has been laying now for a few weeks.  Her eggs are still quite small, I guess that is because she is so young.  The yolks are very, very pale, almost white. :?   All my other hens have had bright yellow yolks.  Can anyone please tell me if this is normal and if the colour might change.  She is a great character and very bright.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Yolk colour
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 22:22 »
Has she access to grass / greens?

muntjac

Yolk colour
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:35 »
she will lay light yolks for a while till she gets her metabolism sorted .start feeding loads of greens such as chopped up cabbage ( buy from the recycle part of your stores ) lettuce chopped up .in fact any green material you can get including grass clippings from electric mowers is fine .petrol mowers may have oiled bearings . start sowing perpeptual spinach on mass now for feed over winter , :wink:
still alive /............

Brambles

Yolk colour
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:01 »
That is great.. thank you.  My girl has plenty of grass, but I will now start on the cabbage, sprouting etc..  .. ..  Just took a short break while doing this and cracked open yesterdays egg.  And YES it is starting to go a bit more yellow.  Her 19th egg (not that I am counting!!!)  My old Isa Brown is getting on a bit in years :cry:  she is now slowing down and giving just one egg every other day.  But she has done a superb job up till now, and as it is getting a bit colder I can't expect any more of her.

xx
Yolk colour

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 21:07
by viettaclark
xx
yolk colour

Started by dennis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 18:52
by dennis
xx
yolk colour?

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 08:48
by compostqueen
xx
Yolk colour

Started by Janschooks on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 09:27
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.