Poorly Boy

• 14 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Poorly Boy
« on: July 16, 2010, 17:34 »
I have an unwell/unusually behaving Bee (drake). The past day or so he has been hunching up and fluffing up  :( I'm not sure why though  :unsure: A few days ago he had an eye infection and after washing it with a saline solution it has cleared up but now he is hunching and fluffing for most of the day. I have checked his vent and nothing wrong down there and no mites/ticks etc when I checked him over and no sneezing coughing or discharge and poos look normal. They have only recently been wormed and he is on the same feed as always.

I've had a good google and look at Storey's guide and can't seem to find anything that would fit and explain why he is looking unwell. Typically it is coming to the weekend and will be Monday for the vets (unless he goes downhill in which case the emergency vets it will be) so any ideas would be much appreciated as I hate seeing him looking under the weather  :(

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
Re: Poorly Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:17 »
Oh dear!!  :(

I do hope he gets better, I know it must be so worrying for you. well....if he is ok til Monday and shows no improvement...it sounds like the vet.  :wub:
However, if he gets worse over the weekend.........then obviously, it will have to be the emergency vet!  :wacko:

Take care and I do wish him well.
regards Patricia

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:38 »
Is he walking and standing normally (apart from the hunched up bit)?
Are his sinuses swollen or normal?
Do you know what caused his eye infection?
Did you give him any antibiotics or anti bacterial medication to treat this?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 23:36 »
The eye infection was a result of the prissy little man refusing to use the pool if the ducklings got in there first - and even with numerous fresh water buckets he wasn't washing properly so the vet advised washing with a saline solution which cleared it up straight away along with making sure the ducklings don't get to the pool before him each morning so he gets first bath  ::)

Sinuses normal, no nasal discharge and no sneezing or breathing issues. Other than the fluffing I can find nothing physically wrong with him  :unsure:

I'm actually wondering if he is a little depressed (ok, I know depressed duck is unlikely!) but I have been trying to stop the boys over attachment to me over the past few weeks and have stopped picking up for cuddles to try and get them to be more like ducks! I watched him from my bedroom window and no fluffing and running around like normal. I went down and he stood fluffed by the gate and only when I stroked his head did he sit up straight  ??? I'm going to stop trying to make him be a proper duck and let him have cuddles and stop the towel shaking to get him off my legs (he will attach to me legs and trips me up like the cats and I've been trying to break this habit) and see how he is. Only I could manage to get a possibly depressed gay duck with no interest in his ladies only in me and his brother!!!

Even the vets couldn't think of anything when I phoned them so if he doesn't perk up with attention and fuss I'll have to have a thorough examination at the vets.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 16:36 »
Bee is going to the vets tomorrow as he still isn't right. I've kept a close eye and most of the time he is eating, drinking, swimming and preening happily but then he is still fluffing up and holding his head in on occasion so I'd rather he get a thorough check over in case of an underlying illness :(

I've put a photo on, but I can't get a photo of him hunched up as when he sees we he comes running and doesn't do it  ::) You can see the fluffing easily, especially when compared to his brother next to him. Whatever it is it isn't stopping him dibbing the empty veg beds!
WPM$0537.jpg
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 16:56 by Caralou »

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 19:17 »
He does look a little fluffed up Cara. He is a handsome boy thought and his brother.

Good luck tomorrow and please let us know.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 19:42 »
They're lovely Cara :) :) :) But poor Bee, I do hope he's okay. I'll be thinking of him tomorrow, do let us know how he gets on
All lives are precious.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 13:35 »
Well, he isn't unwell in terms of anything physically noticeable. I panicked last night as I though I found a lump, but was just a big clod of clay under his feathers  ::) :lol:

The boys have just moulted and that combined with having just treated for worms with flubenvet has just left him a little depleted and tired.

The vet also thinks that it may be a behavioural issue as well as I have changed my behaviour with them and this has resulted in his fluffing since he is imprinted on me as his mum!

So, I have to stop trying to make them be "proper" ducks and accept that by hand rearing the boys I have made them totally reliant on me and attached to me  ::) I feel a bit guilty now as me stopping the attention has obviously effected him. I think the difference between them is that Bumble will mate with the girls (often a dozen times a day!) whereas Bee has never shown any interest and has always followed his brother or me around so he has reacted to this badly.

I better go get a towel and put him on my knee for cuddle time  ::) Lesson to be learnt here I think that over handling and attention while rearing can mean a life long attachment  so you have to be willing to keep up with that level of attention for a very long time to keep them happy healthy birds!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 20:24 »
ahhh, how cute.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 21:25 »
Oh bless  :)

Hawkins

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 22:14 »
Im glad hes well and I think its lovely.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 22:14 »
Sounds like he just wants your attention! :) I'm glad that is all it was. ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 16:29 »
Glad he's okay Cara  :)

noshed

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 16:46 »
Everyone needs a cuddle from time to time. Just some more than others.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 16:51 »
I just never thought it would be a duck needing the cuddles  :blink: ::) :lol: I can happily say that today I haven't seen him fluffed up at all and although I am giving him attention he doesn't seem to be as "needy" as he did before so I may have a slightly less dependant duck who just gets the occasional fuss to keep him happy  :wacko:  :wub:

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly Hen?

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 13:04
by Foxy
xx
poorly new mum

Started by fiano60 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 13:41
by joyfull
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 16:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 40 queries.