Pumpkins poorly eye.

• 25 Replies

too many girls

Pumpkins poorly eye.
« on: March 02, 2009, 18:06 »
Pip just brought Pumpkin in as she noticed his eye is swollen and closed up, i've bathed it in cooled boiled water, but when i prized the lid's gently open it appears to have a membrain over the pupil? (for want of a better word) it moves slowly back and forth, there doesn't seem to be anything in it and the area is clear and doesn't look infected (no crusty bits) as soon as i let go the eye closed again and stayed closed, with him having mexican hat feathers over his face it's difficult to see his eyes and we don't know how long he's been like this, Pip's terrified he'll go blind, has anyone got experiance with this? or is it another trip to the vet?

Vember

Re: Pumpkins poorly eye.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 18:52 »
Hi TMG's

Could it be the feathers rubbing against the eye that are irritating it?

No sneezing, weezing, coughing ?
No nasty smell?

Sarah :D

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 18:54 »
he's absoulutely fine in himself, no wheezing or discharge or anything, i don't think it's his feathers as they don't appear to be near his eyes, i would post a pic but my camera doesn't work (i found it in chips bedding).

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 18:56 »
Only other thing I can think is a scratch or a peck?

But if there's a swelling might be best get it checked out to rule out infection :)

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 19:05 »
i rang the vets earlier, but they'd already switched off their computers, i'm to ring before 8.30 in the morning, i would rather take him to Will in Barnard Castle, but Bishop Auckland is closer (same practice) previous experience has proved i can get to the vet in Bishop and still get the kids to school on time, whereas Barney and there late, i'd like to point out that taking him to the vet without Pip is a no no.

Vember

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 19:09 »
Ahhh Hope he's ok :)

Let us know how you get on :)

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 19:15 »
will do, hope he doesn't lose his sight in that eye, kicking myself for not noticing it.

Vember

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 19:17 »
Don't beat yourself up :) I thought my Poland girlie had lost both her eyes a few weeks ago, went into mad panic 'cause I couldn't see them!

Found them under all the feathers eventually :lol:

It isn't easy with them :lol:

Sarah :)

Hawkins

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 19:26 »
I hope pumpkin will be ok TMG. keep us updated.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 19:30 »
TMG, the membrane over the pupil will be the third eyelid. It is an extra protection for the eyeball and quite normal. It usually moves out of the way.

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 22:27 »
if the third eye lid doesn't appear to open properly or it's sluggish moving do you know what the problem could be? i don't want to compromise his sight but if it's something i could treat at home ie not serious, or if it may clear up itself, it would save me a vet bill, i take good care of my animals but i have been known to panic over nothing, if i wasn't worried about his eye closing up for good, i'd keep bathing it and wait to see if it got better on it's own, what would you do?

too many girls

Re: Pumpkins poorly eye. Update.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51 »
Pumpkins back from the vets, ended up taking him to Will anyway as the Bishop practice have stopped treating poultry, he's now classed as a large animal (i think she meant as in farm animals/livestock ) He has Mycoplasma (spelling?) and is on Baytril 2.5% twice daily, really glad i took him in as it's contagious, the bill wasn't an ouch one £11.57 :D  very low or less than the price of a good bottle of wine as my dad said :D :D Pip didn't go as she had to go to school, she was proper miffed :tongue2: the staff at the vets liked him but i don't think they would want him as  a surgery mascot, i never realised how loud his cocka doo doodle doo was till he was in reception shouting his head off :mad:...............

Vember

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 12:56 »
They can't half pack a punch with them Doodle Doo's when they want to :lol:

Glad you got him sorted TMG's :D

too many girls

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 00:54 »
Pip brought Pumpkin in for his antibiotics at 8pm, the swelling has gone down, his eye is open and it seems like he can see out of it, can't believe he has improved so quickly, Pip's gone to bed a happy girl (she was very worried he would go blind) have isolated him in Will's Banty house (it was cleaned out and dissinfected ready for him) he is in the same stable as Pippin, Mrs D'arcy and Frodo, he can see and hear them but he can't reach them, so hopefully they won't become infected, now we are not only obsessed with chicken poo (coxiwhatsit) but are checking everyones eyes as well, including Sam's ..........................

Jellyhead

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 07:41 »
Blimey, you going through it at the mo TMG, g :Dlad Pumpkin is on the up tho ;)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Pumpkins

Started by Clareg on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 07:05
by Lindeggs
xx
pumpkins

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2012, 14:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Poorly Boy

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 16:51
by Caralou

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.