Herb Garden

• 14 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Herb Garden
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:51 »
Is it better to grow herbs at home or at the allotment? I am thinking of using a small area on one of my plots for herbs.
What I am thinking of, is not only growing for food reasons but to create an herb garden for it's aroma and vision. Which type of herb/s would be suitable?
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Nikkithefoot

Re: Herb Garden
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55 »
Generally speaking herbs should be grown at home as you want to be able to pick them as freshly as possible before cooking.

The choice of what to grow depends on what you eat. Chives (or garlic chives) parsley, thyme, oregano, basil and rosemary should be a good start.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16 »
The woodier herbs, like bay, rosemary, thyme, and sage will last quite well after picking (certainly long enough to bring back from the allotment and cook with.)

The finer, leafier ones, like parsley, oregano, and chives are obviously more prone to wilting after picking, but would still be OK as long as you pick just before going home rather than leaving them to sweat it out for hours on a hot day.

Basil is probably the most delicate storage-wise, and I find it difficult to grow outdoors, but you may be lucky.

Don't forget that although there are low-growing varieties, most common rosemarys will grow into large shrubs, although they can be kept under control to some extent by pruning. Bay will grow into quite a large tree if you let it, although it responds well to trimming, even into fancy shapes if you're that way inclined! Sage doesn't grow very tall but a single plant can spread a couple of feet across.

As a generalisation they all like plenty of sun and well-drained soils, apart from parsley which for me is better for a bit of shade.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:58 »
Even if I had an allotment, I'd still grow the herbs at home around the kitchen door, both for convenience and for the aromas. :) Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Mint (contained in a pot) and such could be planted alongside garden paths to release their aroma as you brush by them. I grow the woodier herbs in a bed with summer colour flowers and the softer ones such as Coriander and Parsley in a container by the kitchen door, with a pot of Mint on the other side. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:17 »
I also prefer mine at home, so that I can decide what I want and pick them then and there - and some of them are very pretty in flower ;)

stompy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30 »
I grow rosemary and sage on the allotment corriander, basil in the greenhouse on the allotment and any other anuals in pots at home.

I would like to grow thyme too this year but will grow that at home in a pot too to start with.

What herbs do you use the most?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36 »
basil & greek oregano most, for anything tomato based -  but use tied up sprigs of sage/thyme/rosemary/bay in most of my winter stews and casseroles :)

stompy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:41 »
We use alot of corriander and it's quite costly so i'll be growing and harvesting it in a way that i read about some where.

Grow it in the greenhouse and instead of useing it as cut and come again you let it grow rather large and as it begins to bolt you cut the whole lot in one go.

You then cut it into portion size amounts and freeze it in a bag, then when you need some defrost and use.

You just keep sowing every few weeks until you have enough to last the year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:43 »
I use all of them from time to time, although I do have a habit of finding a recipe which requires a herb that I either haven't got, or is currently unavailable because it's flowering and is either "finished" or needs cutting back, or is just not in season (mint is a bit trying in that respect!)

Rosemary and bay are always available, sage and thyme usually so, although it depends partly on how severe the winter is (my sage in particular got pretty manky last winter!)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:49 »
When I planted my 8'x4' herb bed two years ago with small plants it looked a bit empty.  Now, it looks overcrowded, so they are going into pots this year to free up the space for veg.

Thyme comes in different varieties and lemon thyme is my favourite.  It also comes in variegated forms, eg 'Silver Posie', which look good when planted together.  Tarragon is good for adding height and is my personal favourite with chicken.  Just be sure to get the French and not Russian variety.

Have to agree with keeping the woody herbs on the allotment and the others at home so they are at their best when used.

As an aside, the prettiest herb I have ever grown is Thai basil.
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51 »
Don't grow lemon balm.

It's a brute and I broke a fork trying to dig it out!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

LilacSandy

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 13:13 »
I use so many herbs that I have to have several pots at home and then I plant more at the lotty.  My sage took time to get going but I now have two sturdy plants at the lotty and I use this a lot with pork and sausages, I also put extra fresh sage in stuffing.

I use tons of Peppermint and Spearmint during the growing season as I have lots in my tea.  I also freeze in ice cubes and chop finely into butter and freeze in rolls for mash.  Mint is so invasive that I keep them in their own pots but I have made a raised bed in the lotty where the soil is not perfect and there is some shade and I will plant some there for cutting and freezing.  I don't think you can cook fish and not use Parsley.

I also love to just go into the back garden and pick salad herbs to mix and match.  I use just a few leaves of lovage, basil, savoury, Nasturtium, mint and anything else I fancy at the time and adding them to home grown mixed salad leaves and warm fresh tomatoes, yum... can't wait for summer.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 16:54 »
Once again thank you for all the replies.
It's the woodier plants up at the allotment and the others at home.
We do use mainly Bay and Thyme at home but we want to experiment with different Herbs and their tastes, hence the question!

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 18:22 »
Chervil and coriander - aromatic and bootiful!

gobs

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 19:38 »
I'm with Jay on this. Depends, what sort. Some wilt soon, some do not. Also, evergreens in the winter, however hardy, much more needed to be planted under the window than would meet the eye. Just for one is not going to go down the lottie in that weather. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Sink herb garden

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 14:39
by debih
xx
Windowsill herb garden

Started by Batesy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 11:42
by Batesy
xx
Herb garden from cat toilet?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 22:36
by gobs
xx
Starting a small herb garden

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:01
by tallulah

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 40 queries.