rosemary
thyme (lemon and common)
sage
Chives
Mint
Parsley
Marjoram
Oregano

Each year these all pretty much die and I need to rebuy and plant new plugs each spring.

The mint / chives and parsley will come back (parsley two years max) but I want to avoid rebuying the perennial herbs each year.  The rosemary is a large bush and no issues with that each year.

I usually cut them right back heavily, which I now think is incorrect

From reading, I think I'm best to do a light trim of these herbs, making sure I'm cutting back to green stems not back to the very bottom, mulch with straw around the base (not touching the stems) and then cover with a cloche / cold frame / garden fleece.

The cloche / cold frame / fleece is where I  need some help please.

I don't want to use a cold fame or cloche (issue with getting the right size, blowing away etc) so can anyone advise the best way to use garden (frost) fleece as a protective cover during winter?

I have had other people say to pot them up and put in my greenhouse, but I don't want to do that every year I'm afraid.

Any help with how best to look after them over the winter so not to replace them next spring is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
Re: Overwintering Herb garden advice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 14:58 »
My marjoram grows back lightly trim the Tyme and sage like you say cut the tyme back to the green chives cut back to about a third that will grow back you can also split it if it well established this is what works for me rosemary cut back lightly shrub herbs don’t like been cut back to too old wood as far as I understand 😀👍think you’ve on right track personally I don’t cloche them or fleece I’m Yorkshire area

xx
Herb Garden

Started by Plot 6B on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:38
by gobs
xx
Sink herb garden

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 14:39
by debih
xx
Herb garden from cat toilet?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 22:36
by gobs
xx
Windowsill herb garden

Started by Batesy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 11:42
by Batesy

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 38 queries.