What shall I grow this year?

• 21 Replies

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: What shall I grow this year?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 16:45 »
wow that's a lot!
you should get something yummy out of that!

wrt that septic tank - it's a shame it's so dark in there, because the fertilizer would be perfect!

sclarke624

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 17:53 »
Sorry that I've listed all the areas I've got separately, it's just that I have a weird shaped garden and shrubs so the areas are all in different places!

Me to. My garden goes around the bungalow and is bordered by shrubs, which we have piled stones on to stop the constant weeding and that  is why I grow everything in containers, some obtained free like Tesco blue mushroom boxes, and I have one high rise bed.  The other reason for the high rise and the raised pots of course is so that they don't get dog wee'd on  :blink: :D I do bigger things in the high rise like celery self blanching, cucumber, calabrese, carrots somtimes and this year loads of onion sets.  Tried toms in high rise one year disaster couldn't see the toms for the jungle and couldn't get to the middle ones.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 18:54 »
wrt that septic tank - it's a shame it's so dark in there, because the fertilizer would be perfect!

Funny you should say that!  sometimes when its been raining a lot, our septic tank being old and made of bricks, collects the water off the road, and Brian puts the pump down there and used to pump it over my veg plot!!!

When he lived in Essex years ago, he had a friend who used to give him a load of tomatoes.  Do you grow these yourself he said to his friend?  No he replied, they grow in the sewerage works where I work.  It was all the tomato seeds that go down the toilet. Brian said they were lovely tomatoes!!!!!    :D :D :D :D

Stripey_cat

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 19:14 »
I lost all my tender crops last year: blight on the tomatoes and potatoes, stem rot on the cucurbits, and just too wet and cold for aubergines, okra and peppers.  Even my runner and french beans failed!  Lettuce did really well, peas and broad beans, spinach and chard; in fact, all the cool-season crops I thought I was pushing my luck on with summer sowings.  Did OK on onions, but the garlics rotted.  I'm trying again this year, though, and either hoping for better weather, or (plan B) refusing to remove cloches from anything.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 20:50 »
I'm trying again this year, though, and either hoping for better weather, or (plan B) refusing to remove cloches from anything.

ooh, i tried that one year and they all died.
i don't know why, but they went all pale and flimsy and just died.
the soil was nice and wet, so all i can assume is that the cloches weren't clear enough and they had no light...
I tell you, I'm a big gardening failure!
But I love it so I do it again and again and again!

ILoveVeg

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 12:51 »
John's book says to sow leeks in march - so you could grow those!
 :tongue2:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57 »
ooh, yes, I like leeks.
I thought i'd misssed the time for them, so that's good.

:mad: :mad: :mad: I spent ages yesterday choosing seeds from Unwins, (on the site it says it'll keep my basket for the next time I log in), and I've just gone on it today to "check out" and the basket is empty!!
I'm sooooo annoyed!!  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

xx
New (to you) veg you grew last year which you will/will not grow again this year

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 12:22
by rowlandwells
xx
What to grow now for later and next year

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 05:12
by DD.
xx
Do you grow something new each year?

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 19:55
by Grubbypaws
xx
What are you not going to grow next year?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 17:51
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.