What shall I grow this year?

• 21 Replies

andreadon

• My Diary
What shall I grow this year?
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:23 »
Now every year I try to grow stuff and usually fail.
I have very small pieces of ground, and the soil is stupidly clay-y in places...
I normally manage courgettes (or should that be marrows??!! ::)) and pumpkins.
Last year I grew runner beans very well so I'm doing those again.
The carrots were plentiful but very closely sown oops  :unsure: so they grew tiny and didn't mature properly...

But I want to grow something new!
I have an area about 1sq m where I had sweetcorn last year (don't ask)
and another same size where I have (still got) broccoli.  Time will tell if I'll get anything out of that.... (but that will be free as soon as they're ready)
and i've got a more shallow bit about 1m x 2m where I had potatoes in the past, but last year was fallow.....
I'm attempting spring onions in another bit that size, but so far I'm convinced grass is growing...
I *think* the spinach was successful, which was in a bit 1.5m x 1m.
Where I grow courgettes and pumpkins is really large: should I use it for them again or something else? (it's shallow but well fertilized)
and a cold frame that's 2.5ft x 5ft
Can I use the area inside my raspberry square for anything (that's about 5ft x 5ft)?

Sorry that I've listed all the areas I've got separately, it's just that I have a weird shaped garden and shrubs so the areas are all in different places!
Permanent plants are: gooseberry bush, raspberries and strawberries (although the chickens ate all of the strawbs this year)
oh, and I don't like broad beans.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: What shall I grow this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:35 »
i dont like broad beans either but the ones you grow yourself taste nothing like the ones you buy.

if you have had success with pumpkins why not try some other squashes like butternut

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 13:20 »
Butternut squash makes a lovely winter soup!!!!mmmmm

It depends what you like really!  My most important crops are tomatoes, runner beans, chillies and potatoes, then onions and shallots, carrots and parsnips and beetroot for Brian, as I don't like beetroot.

I never have a good crop of brassicas, so I'mcutting down on those this year, but I do still have loads of seeds, so I will grow some, particularly calabrese!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 13:28 »
ooh, squash.
I like the sound of beetroot and parsnips - I've never done parsnips but I assume they're similar to carrots in method?  I love beetroot roasted up with herbs, so it would be nice to grow those - Did I see somewhere on here that we can eat the cooked leaves?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 13:30 »
you can eat the baby leaves raw in a salad, usually by the time they get big they are full of holes

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 13:35 »
What! No tomatoes?  :ohmy:   ;)

Add lettuce and outdoor cucumbers and hey presto you have salad. :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 13:41 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, I'm only laughing because I've had terrible results from trying to grow those red things (or in my case, black things)
lettuce might be good though - i can frow that in a pot, can't I?
i don't know how easy cucumber would be! ooh!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 13:54 »
Cucumbers have a mind of their own I think!  2 years ago, I had more than I'd ever need, I was giving them awy, throwing them awy, but last year, they didn't do well at all.

Re tomatoes, perhaps try something like tumbling tom or garden pearl, that you can grow in hanging baskets or containers????

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 14:00 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry, I'm only laughing because I've had terrible results from trying to grow those red things (or in my case, black things)
lettuce might be good though - i can frow that in a pot, can't I?
i don't know how easy cucumber would be! ooh!

Oh dear. :( Do you know what went wrong? What variety did you try and how and where were you growing them? (Inside/outside, pots/ground/growbags etc. ?)
Lettuce can be grown in pots, growbags, open ground, almost anywhere. I've only ever grown the cut and come again types, as I was led to believe it can be hard to get ordinary ones to heart properly.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 14:39 »
DD thought it sounded like blight.
 >:(

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 15:30 »
There WAS a lot of blight around last year, I lost more than half my potatoes, and it even got into the polytunnel and got a lot of my tomatoes!!!  Luckily, I grow a lot!!!!

randombod

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 15:35 »
tell me about it i planted 2 seeds got 40 plants  and lost 38 to blight all beef steak and money makers. i have a habbit of planting 1 seed and getting 2 plants from it 

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 15:43 »
For the first time, last year I planted a sideshoot that I cut off a plant.  Worked well!!!  Which is good becauseI'd saved 2 of my Sweetheart tomatoes, and had the seeds drying off in my little sieve in teh kitchen.  Hubby decided to load the dishwasher for a change!!!!!  That's right, you guessed it, they all disappeared down the septic tank!!!  So I opened the other one, and there were only 2 seeds in it, so I'll have to take cuttings of the sides when they grow, if they grow!!! lol

randombod

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 15:48 »
For the first time, last year I planted a sideshoot that I cut off a plant.  Worked well!!!  Which is good becauseI'd saved 2 of my Sweetheart tomatoes, and had the seeds drying off in my little sieve in teh kitchen.  Hubby decided to load the dishwasher for a change!!!!!  That's right, you guessed it, they all disappeared down the septic tank!!!  So I opened the other one, and there were only 2 seeds in it, so I'll have to take cuttings of the sides when they grow, if they grow!!! lol

smeg!

see this is why we blokes dont wash up we only get in to trouble  ;)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 16:23 »
I'm growing a little bit of all sorts on the grounds that something will work  ;) Carrots in pots, runner beans, mange tout, pepper, tomato, aubergine, lettuce, radish, spring onion & spaghetti squash.

xx
New (to you) veg you grew last year which you will/will not grow again this year

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 12:22
by rowlandwells
xx
What are you not going to grow next year?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 17:51
by Mr Dog
xx
what will you grow this year?

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 15:54
by Yorkie
xx
What to grow now for later and next year

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 05:12
by DD.

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 38 queries.