What to grow now for later and next year

• 15 Replies

FCG

« on: July 28, 2008, 21:32 »
What can i put in now (yes another thread like that but please bear with me) that i can harvest at the end of the year? Plus what should i put my mind to getting ready to put in to overwinter to have next year early? I would like to see if there is anything other than salads etc i could do now.

Potatoes? Would i be able to pop a few spuds bought from asda in the ground and getting a harvest?

chickchick

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 22:27 »
ive just planted cabbage, swede and cauliflower seedlings! they sem to be doing ok!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 22:39 »
Hi Mike

Spinach can be done now and Im going to do some carrots that say they can be planted till the end of July ( in pots) , Ive also done caulies meself, and you can try some beetroot now too.  French beans are worth a go, Ive just planted some yesterday, Johns book say they make a good green manure too, so if they fail its ok for me anyway) Turnips, and winter radish can be popped in too.

OH is also doing some spuds in the next week or two (chitted and bought from asda, I wanted him to wait and use seed spuds but hey its his bed....) can cover with fleece if frosts hit.  Im trying new pots from asda in a big container that can be bunged in the GH if it gets cold.
Dont forget onions and garlic can also be done later on this year, though not an end of year harvest

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 22:42 »
if you do put spuds in then they'll have to be fleeced to protect them from frosts, otherwise (and this happened to me last year) the haulms will die off and the potatoes won't get any bigger  :roll:

for winter I've got my Kale in and some cabbages and one or two parsnips (rest didn't germinate so it's off to Tescos I go!) and the rest I'll freeze from my summer harvest, providing the in-laws don't have too much  :roll:

yummy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 23:15 »
We have just planted french beans too.
Parmex carrot seeds are on their way to us now and we are going to do a late sowing of those.
Winter hardy white lisbon spring onion seed is also in the post.
We have a few hundred million cavolo nero seedlings going well and needing to be ruthlessly thinned out now.
We have an assortment of brassica plants arriving at the end of August ready for early spring eating.
I have also ordered autumn sown broad beans (even though they all went rotten last year I will give em another go).

FCG

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 00:37 »
When you say brassicas, which ones?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03 »
swedes are worth a try..and ive also just planted some all the year round caulies (are they brassicas!?  :oops: )

Oh dear, that wasnt very helpful

Sorry Mike  :oops:  :cry:

yummy

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 14:26 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
When you say brassicas, which ones?

Sprouting Broccoli Late White, Sprouting Broccoli Claret, Cabbage Excel, Cabbage Spring Hero, Cauliflower Mayfair  :)

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 18:01 »
i have lots of broccoli seedlings but they look to weedy to put out just yet.. they'll fill my winter beds i'm sure though. :) planted a few too many.
Am planning onions - bought seeds but am going to try and get some sets. Don't know if the seeds are too late now. Sensyu or something they're called. :)

FCG

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 19:24 »
I'm planning overwintering onions & garlic, when should i put sets and bulbs in?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 19:27 »
Mine go in in September/October.

Bit early to find them in the shops yet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 20:24 »
My sprouts are in and am planting spinach and winter lettuce as I dig up other things. If they don't  quite "do" they will be good winter greens for my girls. I've ordered some spuds to try and grow new potatoes for Christmas but doing it in "bag"
Tried overwintering peas last autumn for an early crop this year but in all honesty don't think it was worth it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Knoblauch

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 22:32 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
My sprouts are in ...

Can you plant sprouts now? - I thought they had to be planted in February to be ready for the winter, otherwise I'd have ordered some.

chickchick

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 23:04 »
cant help you there kate, as sprouts have been banned from our house! :oops:  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:11 »
Quote from: "Knoblauch"
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
My sprouts are in ...

Can you plant sprouts now? - I thought they had to be planted in February to be ready for the winter, otherwise I'd have ordered some.

February is too early to plant, I sow in late March, but it is too late now. The faster maturing varieties need 28 weeks to mature & we'll be out of growing season well before then.

xx
New (to you) veg you grew last year which you will/will not grow again this year

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 12:22
by rowlandwells
xx
What shall I grow this year?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 12:57
by andreadon
xx
what will you grow this year?

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 15:54
by Yorkie
xx
Do you grow something new each year?

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 19:55
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 39 queries.