Planting gro-bags question.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Planting gro-bags question.
« on: April 11, 2019, 15:29 »
I'm trying to maximise the space in my g-house and want to use the floor as well, so I'm planning on using 2 gro-bags with those green plastic open-ended tubs that you insert into it, fill the inner pot with compost, plant your whatever, then water via the outer section. Question is what to plant and how to arrange the spacings to get the best results. The plants I'm considering are 2 plum tomatoes, a cucumber, melon (1 or two?) and a climbing French bean. Bag 1): 2 toms but can I fit in one of the other plants as well? Bag 2) Open to suggestions as I've never grown either cucumber or melon before. I also have some big pots I could use for whatever I can't fit in.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting gro-bags question.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 21:14 »
Ive never used those green tomato rings with grobags but having planted tomatoes into grobags directly before, found the plants to be short and weak, and because of drying out having to water them constantly. I wont use grobags again, simply plant them into the ground the grobags would stand on.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 21:23 »
If you have a concrete floor it makes sense to try to maximise growing space by using containers/growbags etc

From experience I find that grow bags to dry out very quickly once the plants have a lot of foliage. I have had better results from using those deep black pots/buckets that supermarket florists often have available free.  They are also easier to add a supporting stake for a tomato plant than a grow bag tbh. I have grown cucumber plants in the successfully, and dwarf beans too (3 plants)

I hipe that helps your decision -making process
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 21:58 »
I only have a small greenhouse but I put down the large black trays ( say 3ft x 1ft?) and sit 2 or 3 black buckets with holes made in the bottom in each tray. It's not the space at the bottom that counts, it's where the many side shoots end up climbing that takes the space.  I attach them by string to anywhere available high up and across.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37 »
I only have a small greenhouse but I put down the large black trays ( say 3ft x 1ft?) and sit 2 or 3 black buckets with holes made in the bottom in each tray. It's not the space at the bottom that counts, it's where the many side shoots end up climbing that takes the space.  I attach them by string to anywhere available high up and across.

Our local B&M store is selling similar trays for £3.99. I use them for all sorts

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23 »
Depending on their size, you could always cut the grow bags in half and stand them on end and then plant one item per bag.  The biggest issues that I can see are watering and support. 

A nice deep pot/half bag will give the tap roots (take up water) of the tomatoes plenty of room to develop, and a tray underneath can be very useful to hold water and stop them from drying out.  Plum tomatoes need quite a bit of support, so the deeper the pot the better, and you will probably need to tie canes in to the greenhouse in some way or grow them up a string (this works well for cucumbers).

Climbing beans will be more than happy to grow up a cane or string or anything else tbh, but I would tend towards putting several in one pot if you can support them (and have the head room) to get a decent crop.  Dwarf beans can also be very productive, and can be dotted around wherever you have a space.

AM  :)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 13:47 »
Thanks all, that was very useful. These green plastic tubs have "prongs" on the bottom so you push the tub down into the gro-bag, remove it, then cut out the circle made in the plastic. They have an inner pot you fill with compost which roughly doubles the height of the planting medium, and they also have 4 tube-like structures to insert the supporting canes. The outer pot is for watering and applying liquid feed and I've also got trays to put them on. I'm not one for faddy things but these seem to be the best option for me to use some of the g-house floor because part of the single bed will be taken up with sweetcorn and inter-planted with some dwarf beans both of which have always worked really well for me in there. I'll also use some of my other pots for any veg I can't fit into my g-house bed. It'll be a real GG Jungle in there!

Jax64

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 15:37 »
I’ve used grobags with the green things successfully in the greenhouse. A few years ago now, but think I had two tomato plants in each bag, only grew toms, excellent crop, thorough watering every night, plenty of ventilation and occasional feed. Good luck.

xx
Growing spuds in bags

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 16:18
by hamstergbert
xx
Greenhouse grow bags

Started by alanb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

15 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 11:30
by Amilo
xx
Pots in grow bags.

Started by andyw on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 08:01
by Totty
xx
Bags of seeding compost and care!

Started by Flagstaffview on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2020, 08:20
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.