Plum Tomato End Rot

• 3 Replies

omits

Plum Tomato End Rot
« on: July 27, 2023, 21:15 »
When my plums are going from green to yellow end rot sets in. The soil is kept damp and I feed with the occasional chicken manure and water with rainwater. I have used beetroot water earlier but other plants there are OK.

Any advice welcome before I remove the plant. Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plum Tomato End Rot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 23:20 »
It's caused by calcium deficiency, which is usually caused by the roots getting too dry between waterings. On a really hot day, they're better with a morning and evening watering, rather than one big soaking, as, If your plant’s roots get waterlogged, that may also stop the plant drawing calcium up to the fruit.

High Nitrogen fertilizer (like chicken manure) can also make the problem worse, try a proper tomato fertilizer (Poundland sell the cheap and cheerful Doff brand if you have one of those shops nearby - it may be cheap but it still works, I find)

They often just grow out of it anyway, once you've removed the first bad fruits, especially if the weather changes, so don't give up hope :)

omits

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 08:58 »
It's caused by calcium deficiency, which is usually caused by the roots getting too dry between waterings. On a really hot day, they're better with a morning and evening watering, rather than one big soaking, as, If your plant’s roots get waterlogged, that may also stop the plant drawing calcium up to the fruit.

High Nitrogen fertilizer (like chicken manure) can also make the problem worse, try a proper tomato fertilizer (Poundland sell the cheap and cheerful Doff brand if you have one of those shops nearby - it may be cheap but it still works, I find)

They often just grow out of it anyway, once you've removed the first bad fruits, especially if the weather changes, so don't give up hope :)
Great thanks, I'll pop in there and get some. The other tom plant seems OK except the skins are splitting on some.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 09:06 by mumofstig »

Hortic

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 10:06 »
Not only the blossom end rot but the splitting skins show a watering problem.

exclamation
Unruly plum tomatoes

Started by Kevin_000 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2019, 11:14
by Kevin_000
xx
Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?

Started by JayG on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

23 Replies
Last post November 11, 2017, 12:50
by JayG
xx
tomato

Started by m1ckz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 10:33
by Goosegirl
xx
tomato problem

Started by hiccup on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 17:31
by hiccup

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 44 queries.