Coccidiosis?

• 3 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Coccidiosis?
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:56 »
I posted on Thursday about a sick chick and someone (I think it was TMG) asked me if she had blood in her poo, Whilst i hadnt noticed any with that chick I have just cleaned out my remaining chick and she did a  poo on the floor, which had blood init . I've looked at the poo thread and wonder if it could be Coccidiosis and if its possible that my dead chick had this too? Im meant to be going back to the same breeder tomorrow to get a replacement chick.
Is this still wise considering now the remaining chick had blood in her poo (only the once so far)
The breeder also sells coxoid, would it be worth getting some of that just incase it is Coccidiosis?
Im getting chicks the same age as my remaiming chick (5 weeks) so chances are they would of come from the same hatch.
As far as im aware the breeder does vacinate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:58 by imonlyme »

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Coccidiosis?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 13:01 »
Is there any chance you could take a pic of the poo next time she passes and post it? It does sound as though it could be cocci and I think it may be a good idea to speak with the breeder and explain that you have found blood in the remaining chicks droppings. If the breeder is good they may offer to take the chick back, but it is likely that the rest of that hatch may be suffering unless the breeder has treated them since you had yours with an anti-cocci treatment. Chicks are very much happier in pairs, but you will need to start a treament regime if you intend to keep this chick  :)

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 13:20 »
you need to get your chick on coxoid asap, if it is cocci the chick will have been infected for some time, personally i would return the chick to the breeder and source more chicks elswhere, as once infected it may survive but may not reach it's full potential.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 14:58 »
Thanks. Is there any way this could infect the rest of my girls? The chicks hadnt come into contact with them though, As chicks are/were indoors.
I've contacted the seller but I know she isnt around until tomorrow so left a message.
Will let you know how i get on

Hayley

xx
Coccidiosis !

Started by lynsnow on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 18, 2011, 08:51
by joyfull
xx
Coccidiosis

Started by daz on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 13:21
by daz
xx
is it coccidiosis ??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 10:40
by Aunt Sally
xx
Could it be coccidiosis?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 07:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 37 queries.