He said yes!!

• 13 Replies

Parsnip

He said yes!!
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:22 »
I've managed to persuade my husband into letting me have some Chickens. In fact, unsurprisingly, he's actually rather keen now! :D

I've just bought the starting with Chickens book, as I am a complete novice. But we have a question that needs answering as soon as , please. We've just cleared a area at the top of the garden which is approx 30 metres square, now some of this we will allocate to a hen house and outside area for them, the other bit will be for a greenhouse.

The hen house will be in a fixed position, so what is the best material for the floor of their outside area?

Also while I'm at it... :oops:

I'm looking at maybe four hens, so how much room would they need inside and out given the area we've got to play with?

Would it be ok to let them roam the rest of the garden ( it is secure) ?

Thanks in advance Parsnip ( Sue) x

Vember

He said yes!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39 »
Yipeee

That's great news Parsnip :D
For the outside run alot of people have bark down, it's great for them to forage in:)

If the garden is secure, baring in mind a fox can clear 5ft fence & dig under one then your hens will be fine to roam free :D

As for the measurements & room per hen maximum of 10 birds per one square metre (so I'm reading :lol: )
I was quite naughty & bought a largish coop and then kept adding hens to it  :lol:

Have you had a look through this that Bodger wrote, it's full of great info for before you buy hens :)
LINK

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

He said yes!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 13:02 »
hi Parsnip. Great news. :)

I won't add anything to what Vember said. You should get a lot of info from Bodger's post. We're all happy to give an opinion so you'll not be short of information ! :lol:

If you want to post some photos up of the area, you may get some good suggestions. If you can cover any of the area too it would stop it from fermenting and it gives teh hens somewhere to shelter if they're wet through. And something to climb on. I'll shut up now  :oops:

Come back and ask away. :D

Rob 8)

Parsnip

He said yes!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 13:18 »
Aaw thankyou both!

I'm off to get the camera, I'll post some piccies later

Parsnip x

Parsnip

He said yes!!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 15:30 »
Ok here are a couple of photos, any suggestions? :?

agapanthus

He said yes!!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 15:34 »
That's a nice big area for 4 hens!!!! Good luck with them! :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
He said yes!!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 16:04 »
As for the measurements & room per hen maximum of 10 birds per one square metre (so I'm reading  )

Wow is that right? I got 7 hens and 10 square metres in my run!!! :D  I feel more chickens coming on! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poultrygeist

He said yes!!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 17:01 »
Quote from: "chickenlady"
As for the measurements & room per hen maximum of 10 birds per one square metre (so I'm reading  )

Wow is that right? I got 7 hens and 10 square metres in my run!!! :D  I feel more chickens coming on! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think that's for coop chickenlady !! :)

For the run it's bare minimum 1sq metre/bird. That area looks perfect for 4 birds. Not sure if the fence would need a bit of beefing up to make it fox-proof but others can advise on that hopefully.
You'll want some mesh for the other two sides of the run. That wants to be 19g/1mm welded mesh with stout timbers.

ROb 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
He said yes!!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 17:07 »
I think that's for coop chickenlady !!   :D

:(  :(

poultrygeist

He said yes!!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 17:12 »
Sorry  :(

Knight Family

He said yes!!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 18:17 »
I think that's for coop chickenlady !!   :D

:(  :(

Thats still space for 3 more hens!! so come on smile.

P.S. good luck with the hens, I love ours after OH kept on at me for 10 years about chickens I finaly gave it!!! now cannot keep me out of there!

I've been told I've now got to make another run and extend the run for more hens next year!!!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
He said yes!!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 21:37 »
Only took me about 3 months to get chooks but took 10 years to get the dog!! :lol:  from the original 3 we went up by 2 (chooks that is)then another 2  :D  i want 2 more babcocks (from grannie) an araucana and a white leghorn, oh and ducks but now realised i dont have enough room :cry: maybe the front garden could be put to good use??? :shock:

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
He said yes!!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31 »
Only took me about 3 months to get chooks but took 10 years to get the dog!! :lol:  from the original 3 we went up by 2 (chooks that is)then another 2  :D  i want 2 more babcocks (from grannie) an araucana and a white leghorn, oh and ducks but now realised i dont have enough room :cry: maybe the front garden could be put to good use??? :shock:

what is a babcock need piccys please.? sounds interesting!
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
He said yes!!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 13:56 »
here she is! Anik-hen, she is a blackrock hybrid X rir i think she is very beautiful...

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 29 queries.