"Simple" pickling eggs query..

• 4 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
"Simple" pickling eggs query..
« on: January 30, 2012, 13:33 »
Hi all, just thinking about pickling some of our eggs to try it.

Now, I only want to pickle a smallish batch at first and yes I have seen Val's wonderful recipe here  http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/358/pickled-eggs-recipe/ and there lies my query.

Where is says to pour over "hot spiced vinegar" there's no clarification on how this is "hot" ie does the vinegar need to be boiled up and simmered as this seems to be the way some recipes on the internet advocate?

I thought it'd be a simple job of sterilising the jars, boiling the eggs, peel, cool, place in jar, pour in your sarsons pickling vinegar and seal?

Am I being stupid?

Kleftiwallah

Re: "Simple" pickling eggs query..
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 13:40 »

Pour over hot spiced vinegar ?   I thought it should have read "Pour hot spiced vinegar over the eggs".   However, as a qualified Technical Author, who am I to pick.

I've been making pickled eggs for years and I do just as you have written in your description of a 'simple job'.   I do make my own spiced vinegar and simmer the spices in the vinegar for a while, then allow the vinegar to cool.

Nope Paul, you aint being stupid.   Don't forget the blade mace and the addition of a chilli or two makes a refreshing change.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 13:50 »
Recently off the boil is good enough, Paul.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 13:58 »
Cheers to you both, just to clarify though, I don't need to boil the vinegar at all if im not adding any spices etc?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 15:22 »

If the spices have already been infused by the vinegar brewery no you don't.  If you are infusing your own I'd just keep the vinegar on a simmer and not a full rolling boil for afew minutes.   Don't try and make pickling vinegar from ground spices, the vinegar will be cloudy,  whole spices only.    Best wishes,    Cheers,     Tony.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 39 queries.