Potential newbie & questions re pigeon loft / what to grow

• 5 Replies

TTG

Just been offered a plot after a couple of years on a list. Started off number 11 then 4th then about 3 months ago first on the list. Now I have been offered one that I don't have to take up and if I don't I won't be taken off the list. The reason is there is a shed and a pidgeon loft on the plot. Been for a look (from the outside of a locked fence/gate) and it seems that the shed is still good but the loft obviously has to go as it is huge and falling down. Anyone come across a similar situation? The person in charge of the allotments did say she was trying to get some plot holders to help but it looks as if my family and friend will be bribed, coerced and pursuaded (blackmail is such a bad word :D) into helping.

The good news is that it looks a big plot, is S to SW facing and although backed by trees on almost three sides it is not shaded. It is in the edge of a small semi-rural town so I am thinking it could allow bonfires for getting rid of the wooden loft.

What is your advice? Should I take the plot or wait for another one? My feeling is to take it on and get violent with the loft using something sharp or something heavy (sledge hammer) or both (heavy felling axe).

Never grown stuff before except for growing a few cacti from seed and a few herbs and chilli plants. So this will be a new experience for me. Good thing is I come from a long line of people who have been heavily into it. So I have at least one living expert in the family to assist / advise. Any suggestions for what to grow? I want to grow gooseberries but apart from that I have no restrictions. Basically I was thinking of growing stuff not commonly available or more expensive in the supermarkets. I quite fancy giving squashes a go. Spinach is also a good, easy cropping vegetable so that is in. Peas and other legumes for nitrogen fixing in rotation. See I have some of the terms down. :D

Anyone got any recommendations?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:08 by Yorkie »

DavidT

Re: Potential newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 19:07 »
Good evening TTG and welcome to the site. Take the plot and dismantle the loft, saving any reusable timber. You will find a use for it, believe me. :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potential newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 19:07 »
Welcome TTG  :D

Seeing as how you're asking a lot of Grow Your Own type questions, I'll move your post over to that forum for more people to see, and I've added to the thread title to attract attention too  ;)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elcie

Re: Potential newbie & questions re pigeon loft / what to grow
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 19:35 »
Congratulations on getting the plot after such a long wait - you must be very excited!

The loft is a pain but, to be honest, it is probably easier than dealing with brambles or bindweed/mares tail - so perhaps look on the bright side!  Also, you could probably re-use the wood for lots of things on the plot.  Making raised beds, building compost bins etc etc.  Also getting a free shed is brilliant too.

In terms of growing I would suggest that you concentrate on clearing a small area and planting something in it asap.  Nothing better than seeing things growing, especially as you will be doing a lot of clearing in the coming weeks/months!

TTG

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39 »
Elcie - I fully expect I will have couch grass, brambles, nettles and even bindweed. It looks overgrown even though it was described as having a small cultivated area. Basically the person who had it seemes tgo only be into keeping pigeons and wasn't really growing anything. I reckon once the loft is down (cue feathers and other items pigeons tend to leave behing) I fully expect to see plenty of weeding and digging over being required. All part of the fun of allotments. Looking forward to it even the loft removal could be fun if I am let loose with a sledgehammer or large axe. Its just getting rid of the waste. Fortunately there are a few estate cars in the family to run it to the waste collection area which is 5 minutes away. Good idea about the compost bin, I should be able to use part of the frame for corner posts and nail the slats from the loft onto them to form a box on three sides then perhaps using extra corner posts at the front to create a channel to allow the front slats to be removed for turning over which I believe should be done to promote good compost. I just hope the shed is good enough to stay, that would be useful.

Thanks Yorkie, I reckon newbies start in that section then quite quickly move on.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:00 »
Just in case you were thinking of burning the loft at the allotment, it would be a good idea to collect all the ash and bin it, as you don't know what nasty chemicals the wood will have been treated with to preserve it. The same applies if you are re-using the wood around the allotment, the chemicals could leach into the soil. I'm no organic gardner, but even I worry about some of the chemicals used in the past to preserve wood.

xx
Potential to veg newbie.

Started by joyfull on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 09:26
by joyfull
clip
Potential plot questions

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:50
by Yorkie
xx
Help a Newbie questions please

Started by Seefoodandeatit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 11:18
by sunshineband
xx
Questions from a newbie

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 22:10
by Riala

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.