Rhubarb Wine

• 2 Replies

Cazzy

Rhubarb Wine
« on: May 29, 2010, 14:25 »
A plot neighbour gave me 15lbs of rhubarb last night so I decided to use 6lbs to make 2 gallons of wine.

I found a recipe in an old book I bought at a charity shop and its easy enough to make but I've never tried it, is it nice?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Cazzy

Re: Rhubarb Wine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 15:19 »
I just had a quick google search on rhubarb wine and there are a ton of recipies with varying amounts of fruit to sugar but none of them mention removing mould like mine does :s

I think maybe this old book of mine is older than I'd like and I need to use a more updated recipe.

Have any of you left the rhubarb to soak for 10 days without stirring and then remove the mould from the top?

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: Rhubarb Wine
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:16 »
Have any of you left the rhubarb to soak for 10 days without stirring and then remove the mould from the top?

:ohmy:  If any of my wine got mouldy, I'd chuck it!!

There's a great book called "First steps in winemaking" by C.J.J. Berry, which has a lot of background information as well as recipes.  He recommends keeping the fruit quantity low and extracting the juice with dry sugar, because of the high acidity of the fruit, and also says not to boil the fruit as that sometimes causes the final wine to jellify.  Basic recipe: 3lb chopped rhubarb to 3lb sugar; leave for at least 24 hours until the sugar has dissolved, then use water to rinse the sugar off the fruit and add more water to make up to 1 gallon.  Ferment as normal.

There's another recipe for sweet "vanilla wine" which uses rhubarb as a base, plus hawthorn flowers as a flavouring.  That one does have to sit for 10 days (not in a warm place!), but because it isn't boiled first, you add a Campden tablet at the outset to kill any moulds or bacteria.  Chop 6lb rhubarb, cover with water, add a gallon of hawthorn flowers and the juice and rind (no pith) of 2 lemons, and add a crushed Campden tablet.  Cover, keep cool, stir every day for 10 days.  Strain onto 2lb sugar, stir, add yeast, cover, keep warm.  After 4 or 5 days, add the rest of the sugar, stir well, transfer to a demi-john and ferment as usual.  He does say with that one that you may have to add a small amount of glycerine before bottling to counteract the acidity.

The hawthorn's just out round here and I'd be tempted to try this one, but I haven't got that much rhubarb and we prefer to have it as rhubarb crumble!  :)  It certainly sounds good though.

xx
Rhubarb wine.

Started by thedadtony on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 20:37
by SG6
xx
Rhubarb wine

Started by bazh on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 20:43
by plot107
xx
rhubarb wine

Started by jackiestagg on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 12:06
by charlwooduk
xx
Rhubarb wine...again!

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 20:09
by Kevin67

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.