using roundup?

• 54 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Re: using roundup?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56 »
Oh dear, I should hang my head in shame ....... or join a round-up user group for therapy!

I used round-up last year to help clear half my plot. Being novice alloymenteers, me and other half couldn't manage all the plot so I used round-up (on the advice of a very exerienced chap) to kill of all the existing weeds before covering the area with weedmat.

On the upside, I've not had to use any weedkiller this year and we are now using the full plot which is mostly weed free. There is some twitch weed in the hedge at the end, but it's under control at the moment and it's given us the incentive to push on and to be honest, I'm enjoying the plot more this year rather than suffering the frustartions of last year.

I think that used at the right time and for the right reasons, it isn't a problem.

:D :D :D

Thanks Gardenmunkey, you sound like you were in the same position as I am now. Good to hear your enjoying things now...light at the end of the very dark tunnel!! lol!

Gardenmunkey

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 10:06 »
We've made alot of progress this year which is satisfying.

There definately is light ..... or rather a huge potato crop at the end of the tunnel!   :D

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2009, 19:55 »
Quote from: Rangerkris
Im thinking im going to have to do this anyhow as there are so many slowworms on my plot its unreal i lifted a tarp yesterday and found about 12 straight of and then some babies they are every where.  Im thinking leave an area for them to do there thing and i will feel much better. 

I had something similar clearing an area to plan fruit bushes. I came across half a dozen juvenile smooth newts.  Instant stop to the work. In England it is merely illegal if you try to buy or sell newts. In Northern Ireland any disturbance is illegal.

Since both slow worms and newts eat invertebrates it is worth giving them space IMO. Slow worms, better than slug pellets.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 21:22 »
Off topic but I'd love to have slow worms on my lotty!! Can I put an advert in the slowworm times??  ???

compostqueen

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31 »
I would just add that once a plot is cleared of all weeds by using chemicals then there is nowhere for the local insect population to lay their eggs, feed, hang out etc so they will home in on your veggies. So, then you have to start spraying with chemicals to get rid of them

A vicious circle methinks

I keep my plot margins quite weedy and have lovely patches of nettles and all sorts of weeds under my hedgerow, comfrey too. I like the way it looks and it provides habitat and cover for all sorts of mammals and insects. 

You can be too tidy  :)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 15:18 »
I cleared my plot by hand last year, have a huge pile of rotting weeds that are going to be the base for a wildlife area and have not used anything else to control weeds. Equally I don’t use any pesticides or fertilisers other than horse manure and homemade compost. It is fun to me finding ways to bring in wildlife, deter pests and keep the soil fertile. I don’t even use a strimmer. I am going to stay this way as long as I am physically able and continue to enjoy digging out the weeds (yes really!).

When I am either no longer able or willing then out will come the roundup, rotavator, slug pellets and whatever else I feel is necessary for the job and I wont feel guilty as I will have worked the plot in the way that I wanted to.

Organic, Non-Organic or some grey area in between, who cares - just do it your own way and enjoy it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 15:29 »
Wise words Trebor :D

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 17:02 »
I cleared my plot by hand last year, have a huge pile of rotting weeds that are going to be the base for a wildlife area and have not used anything else to control weeds. Equally I don’t use any pesticides or fertilisers other than horse manure and homemade compost. It is fun to me finding ways to bring in wildlife, deter pests and keep the soil fertile. I don’t even use a strimmer. I am going to stay this way as long as I am physically able and continue to enjoy digging out the weeds (yes really!).

When I am either no longer able or willing then out will come the roundup, rotavator, slug pellets and whatever else I feel is necessary for the job and I wont feel guilty as I will have worked the plot in the way that I wanted to.

Organic, Non-Organic or some grey area in between, who cares - just do it your own way and enjoy it.

good on ya mate :)

Doodle

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 21:01 »
We are planning to encourage insects back and have part of the plot left. As we were clearing it of plastic bottles, tins, bags and other revolting rubbish, i can honestly say that in the part where the docks are which was also the rubbish dump, there is very little evidence of critters. Appart from the dead rat i found in the pigeon poop!! It is minging. Would love to be completly organic, maybe not this month.

compostqueen

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 00:49 »
Ah someone from tarn. Welcome  :D

xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
xx
Using Roundup

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:16
by shaun
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
where to buy roundup?

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:44
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.