Run Flooring

• 2 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Run Flooring
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:59 »
Since we got my girls, the weather has been beautifully dry, as well as their run being sited underneath a big tree, so even when it rains, they are very sheltered by the tree, but in Autumn / Winter that isnt going to be the case. We always planned to put wood chippings down, and bought a couple of bags weeks ago now, but the girls have been happy digging in the soil, so we have waited.

Our set-up isnt a walkin, more of a crawl in and lie on your tummy! So we had to plan the 'operation wood chips' for a morning where we got up early to do it before letting the girls out of their coop.

So, we set about it this morning, gave the soil a good raking, then, hubby on his tummy, laid all the chippings etc.

We let the girls out, and they didnt seem taken with the new arrangement at all. I have just been out to see them, and in 2 hours they have reaked havoc. There are massive piles of chippings, and the whole thing looks a total mess. Do I leave them to it, or should we rake it back down?

I wanted the chippings down so that it didnt get muddy etc in there and thought it might be a bit more interesting for them than bare soil ............ who am I to know hey!

Advice very gratefully received! (Oh, and my husband is going to do his nut when he sees what they have been up to!)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Run Flooring
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:01 »
We had a similar situation to you a while ago - sheltered (ish) mud area and 3ft high run.

The girls will do all sorts of things to the woodchips - they enjoy digging and scratching for grub etc. and so they're just moving the 'inconvenient' woodchip out of the way.  I would probably rake it down again, if nothing else the fact that it gives them something to do is always nice!

The only thing I will say is that once you get a prolonged period of rain, no matter how much woodchip you put down, it will still get wet and muddy, and the wood rots into the ground.  Over time the area will get smelly and so it will need a regular blitzing - we used to have to move the run out of the way and then clear the whole area before putting more down.  If your run isn't moveable, and if the only access is on hands and knees, this will become tiring too.  If the smell's not a problem where you are then it's perhaps not such an issue, but our chooks aren't far from the house and if the wind's blowing the wrong way, it's quite pungent!

So - yes, keep the woodchips down and by all means rake them flat whenever you like.

I've also made an assumption that your run is a similar size to what we had at around 8ft x 6ft.  If it's a lot bigger then you'll probably find it needs far less attention (but 2 bags of woodchips sounds about the same as us).

I'm waffling on now .. if you can consider a head height run or better flooring it may be easier, but give it a year or two and see how you get on.  Until you've had the girls for at least all the seasons you won't really know what happens and what does / does not annoy you.

Good luck!!

grumpydad

Re: Run Flooring
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 15:57 »
we have easibed down, a horse bedding, smaller bits than chippings and about the same price

xx
Run flooring

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 22:25
by Geo
xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230
xx
flooring for mud

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 14:13
by chirpycheepcheep
xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 38 queries.